Front axle vacuum lines - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front axle vacuum lines

All,

Just want to verify with someone as I don't have a repair manual yet.

I was changing out the brakes on my 2000 7.3L over the weekend and I notice what I believe is a 4X4 vacuum line near the hub on the axle was disconnected. What looked to have happened was the vacuum nipple rusted and broke in half. I probably should have taken a pic but I was filthy at the time. Can some one confirm that this is indeed the 4X4 activation vacuum line? I tried looking on the ford parts website too but that doesn't help much.

Thanks guys,
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have manual lock out hubs? If so I think the lines your talking about are just breather lines to relieve preasure. Some one else will chime in I am sure.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 AM

I actually have the electronic 4x4 selector switch on the dash.

Greg
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 AM

I do as well but my hubs are manual. If you don't lock in the hubs it doesn't matter if its in 4x4 or not. The front wheels won't pull unless your hubs are locked in. On a full automatic front end, the hubs are locked in full time but the wheels won't pull untill the front drive shafts turn which is done by locking in the transfer case (turning the knob on the dash). I really believe they are just breather lines which should still be fixed before you go driving through mud and rain puddles.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That fitting, with the rusted out nipple, is most likely for your ESOF 4X4 hubs. I had a similar problem, but the vacuum line on the passenger side wheel was torn apart (due to age I believe). I examined the fittings in the hub, and I noticed the nipples were severely rusted, so I replaced them, along with the vacuum lines. At this point in your repair, you may as well do the same. It's not expensive, and it will give you peace of mind. You might want to consider rebuilding the ESOF hubs too.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that is most likely the vacuum line for your lock outs. the hubs are not always locked in with the auto hubs. the hubs use vacuum to pull in the a diaphram to lock the hubs when the selector switch is turned, on the dash. there are some truly manual hubs out there, but most seem to be the esof hubs, which have the back up manual locking feature.

Last edited by zpd307; 07-12-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 AM

Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

This might help you all as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just remove the vacuume line and put a plug over the end thats attached by the frame. That way theres not a vacuume leak causing the small vacuume pump to run all the time.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Rusted nipples

Quote:
Originally Posted by flf250sd View Post
That fitting, with the rusted out nipple, is most likely for your ESOF 4X4 hubs. I had a similar problem, but the vacuum line on the passenger side wheel was torn apart (due to age I believe). I examined the fittings in the hub, and I noticed the nipples were severely rusted, so I replaced them, along with the vacuum lines. At this point in your repair, you may as well do the same. It's not expensive, and it will give you peace of mind. You might want to consider rebuilding the ESOF hubs too.
I just found the rusted nipples on my 2001 - where did you find replacement nipples - Ford wants me to buy new hubs to replace nipples!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 PM

I don't know what size the nipples are, but I'd look for stainless steel replacements. If they are anywhere near the size of a brake bleeder nipple, those can be had in SS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.