Driver side window won't go down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driver side window won't go down

As the title states, I'm having trouble with the driver's side window. The problem's been intermittent for a few weeks, now it won't go down at all. At first, when I pushed the auto down, it would go down a little then stop, but i could push the button in the down (manual) position and it would work. Now nothing. I can hear the relay behind the knee panel click when I push the button, but I get nothing. I pulled off the door panel to check voltage, and I get 12 volts when I push the up button, but 0volts in the down position whether I push it to down or auto down. I don't have a schematic, so I don't know what all is in the circuit. Any ideas? Thanks

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruffleluficus View Post
As the title states, I'm having trouble with the driver's side window. The problem's been intermittent for a few weeks, now it won't go down at all. At first, when I pushed the auto down, it would go down a little then stop, but i could push the button in the down (manual) position and it would work. Now nothing. I can hear the relay behind the knee panel click when I push the button, but I get nothing. I pulled off the door panel to check voltage, and I get 12 volts when I push the up button, but 0volts in the down position whether I push it to down or auto down. I don't have a schematic, so I don't know what all is in the circuit. Any ideas? Thanks

Chris

Sounds like the switch itself is bad if you are seeing 0 volts in the down position only. Put a test light directly on the back of the switch and see if it lights when trying to roll down.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:21 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

yep, sometimes the contacts will break. replace the switch and you should be ok.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not sure with our trucks but you may be able to get inside and clean up the contacts. I did this on my 96 mustang cobra and worked like a charm.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. I went out and checked the switch with a meter and it looks ok. I used a jumper wire on the plug and I had the same result: relay still clicks but no action. I swapped the relays earlier thinking maybe a bad contact on the relay, but nothing changed. Does anybody have a link to a wiring diagram?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug_oman Send a message via MSN to doug_oman
I had the same issue. I was getting voltage, but no go. Voltage doesn't mean much if there is high resistance in the switch. Clean the switch contacts and you should be good to go.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_oman View Post
I had the same issue. I was getting voltage, but no go. Voltage doesn't mean much if there is high resistance in the switch. Clean the switch contacts and you should be good to go.
if you have a high resistance your voltage will drop..always basic rules of electricity.. you cant have 12.0V at the motor and have big resistance.. bigger resistance more the voltage drop..

take a jumper wire..one positive on negative..touch the actual motor contacts..you wont hurt it..if it fails to go up or down you need a motor.. if it moves you have wiring or switch problems..

tan with light blue stripe....white with black stripe are your 2 wires..

positive on one and neg on the other will make it go up and switch them it will make it go down.. see if the motor works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.