Need Brake Rotor Suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Brake Rotor Suggestions

I am looking to get some new rotors for my front brakes and have been trying to research it a little but there are so many options. I am wanting to get the power slotted ones and then when I am home in Aug. I am going to have them cryo treated. Right now the pair I am eyeing are EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors. Does anyone have any suggestions for rotors? Keep in mind that I can only afford reasonably priced ones. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To be honest to you , you CAN NOT GO CHEAP on slotted or drilled rotors. They do not work right and are cheaply made and will get hot and crack or warp. You can either spend the 200 - 300 bucks for some powerslot rotors (reg- cryo) or you can look on ebay and maybe get lucky like I did and get some Brembo rotors for 100 shipped. Brembo is a great brand and good quality stuff.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Are you saying 200-300 each or as a pair?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Powerslot
Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Drilled and slotted are a waste of money.

Do some research on this subject, and you will find I'm right.

Unless you're hitting the track (and I mean road course) constantly, and need to hit the brakes and wear thru a set of pads in 1 race, then they're a waste of money. The purpose of drilled and slotted rotors is to keep the pads cool under EXTREMELY stressful braking situations. Even if you're towing 30k lbs, you'll be better off with standard rotors.

Go down to Autozone and pick up a set of Duralast rotors that come with a lifetime warranty and don't look back.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by X JBM X View Post

Unless you're hitting the track (and I mean road course) constantly, and need to hit the brakes and wear thru a set of pads in 1 race, then they're a waste of money. The purpose of drilled and slotted rotors is to keep the pads cool under EXTREMELY stressful braking situations. Even if you're towing 30k lbs, you'll be better off with standard rotors.

Go down to Autozone and pick up a set of Duralast rotors that come with a lifetime warranty and don't look back.
no, drilled and slotted rotors are only junk when you buy cheap ebay knockoff ones. There are some super nice ones out there, baer, brembo, powerslot, ect. But they are not cheap by no means what so ever. I think if you tow often and somewhat heavy getting a nice set of rotors and pads will far outlasts and pay for themselves over some of the cheaper autozone and duralast rotors. Trust me, get on ebay and or the brembo site and find you some of there rotors or powerslots. I paied the same price for my brembo rotors at 100 bucks as some crap at advanced auto........
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X JBM X View Post

Unless you're hitting the track (and I mean road course) constantly, and need to hit the brakes and wear thru a set of pads in 1 race, then they're a waste of money
. The purpose of drilled and slotted rotors is to keep the pads cool under EXTREMELY stressful braking situations. Even if you're towing 30k lbs, you'll be better off with standard rotors.

false..and ill argue with you till the cows come home if you want..

You toss a 10K load behind you every day..use drill and slotted.. they will last 400000000X as long as the " autozone" rotors..there designed to dissipate heat faster to stop " brake fade " and extreme warping. They will last a looong time if taken care of.. Use a good set of pads or even OEM pads..ive never had an issues with ford pads just there rotors..

trust me
Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju015dd View Post
no, drilled and slotted rotors are only junk when you buy cheap ebay knockoff ones. There are some super nice ones out there, baer, brembo, powerslot, ect. But they are not cheap by no means what so ever. I think if you tow often and somewhat heavy getting a nice set of rotors and pads will far outlasts and pay for themselves over some of the cheaper autozone and duralast rotors. Trust me, get on ebay and or the brembo site and find you some of there rotors or powerslots. I paied the same price for my brembo rotors at 100 bucks as some crap at advanced auto........
whoa there. I never said anything about being junk or cheap. Really good drilled and slotted rotors perform great, and are not cheap by any means. My argument is simply that you'd be exponentially over-engineering your braking system for normal, daily driving action.

But how can they pay for themselves over the Duralast if I have a Lifetime Warranty? If I wear a set out, I get new ones for FREE

BTW, the OP said he can only afford the reasonably priced ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_Turbo7.3 View Post
false..and ill argue with you till the cows come home if you want..

You toss a 10K load behind you every day..use drill and slotted.. they will last 400000000X as long as the " autozone" rotors..there designed to dissipate heat faster to stop " brake fade " and extreme warping. They will last a looong time if taken care of.. Use a good set of pads or even OEM pads..ive never had an issues with ford pads just there rotors..

trust me
So your argument is that they will last longer under extremely stressful situations.

I agree to that.

However, given what's in the OP's post, it doesn't look like he's in for the constant heavy hauling.

If you're not putting your brakes through constant, extremely stressful situations, the Duralast Rotors are just fine. And being that brake work is pretty easy, I'll take my Lifetime Warranty in the unlikely event I wear through my rotors.

Last edited by X JBM X; 07-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 AM

I put powerslot rotors and Hawk pads on all around and I noticed a big diff in stopping also with my old brakes goin down the pass they would get hot and not work right these deff work better I think I paid right around $650 for 4 rotors pads and all new callipers but that was about 3 years ago.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM

DJM...do you remember where you found that deal? Rotors, Pads, & Calipers for $650? I need to replace mine bad. I still have plenty of pad left, but the pads are glazed over and squeal like crazy. I want to upgrade to a nice set of slotted rotors...from what I have read, I will have to upgrade my calipers to handle the larger wall thickness of the rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.