Changing to synthetic motor oil at 100K - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing to synthetic motor oil at 100K

Hello, I have apx. 100k on my 02 7.3. All its life I have run Delo400 and I was thinking about switching to the mobil 1 diesel oil they just came out with. Are there any negatives that could occur if I do this switch so late in the game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 05:22 AM
Banned

In a gas engine I would say don't do it due to risk of leaking.. I'm an amsoil dealer and have had customers switch at over 200k in their diesels with no problems. Go ahead with it!!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
In a gas engine I would say don't do it due to risk of leaking.. I'm an amsoil dealer and have had customers switch at over 200k in their diesels with no problems. Go ahead with it!!
what is the difference in a gas? if the seal leaks you change it, plain and simple. petroleum oil is what makes the seal leak in the first place due to the formulation of sludge in the seal area wich in turn cuts a groove into the seal suface on the flange.
Using Synthetic oil (AKA) non petroleum, from the start will eliminate sludge wich eliminates seal leakage. :whistle:
Old 05-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

Yes petro does form a AKA Seal around the seals, but diesel have a much higher detergent in them than Gas oil does, and what causes petro oil to do that? Do Diesel dino co ntain a high quanity of this? I know where your getting at I have been around for long enough. Also I have had Many many customers switch to amsoil well after 100k in a gas engine. I advise them not to use the engine flush and have never had a customer with a seal leak.

Hell I even have a newer customer that started using it in his 97PS with over 300k on it with only rave reviews from him.

I'm not saying it's a myth but I wouldn't worry as much as everyone claims this happens, it usually isn't the case
Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
Yes petro does form a AKA Seal around the seals, but diesel have a much higher detergent in them than Gas oil does, I have had Many many customers switch to amsoil well after 100k in a gas engine. I advise them not to use the engine flush and have never had a customer with a seal leak.

Hell I even have a newer customer that started using it in his 97PS with over 300k on it with only rave reviews from him.

I'm not saying it's a myth but I wouldn't worry as much as everyone claims this happens, it usually isn't the case
Quote:
and what causes petro oil to do that? Do Diesel dino co ntain a high quanity of this?
what exactly are you asking? Im not sure...
are you saying diesel dino does not make sludge? cause I would have to disagree.
I use engine flush with any vehicle with over 50,000 miles with Dino oil, this is because in the first 5,000 miles it will use half as much Amsoil to clean out the engine than not using the cleaner.
usually it uses 2 quarts in the first 10,000 miles and the next 15,000 miles it uses none.
this is with well maintained engines of course, many with over 100,000 miles with AKA sludge oil
Old 05-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
I think over the years in all the advances in synthetics from day 1 have eliminated the problem of certain sealing materials leaking when switching from dino to synthetic - from what I've read.

You're fine to switch at any point in time, and switch back and forth as you please IMO.

We have an 86 Bronco II that switched to Amsoil, previously just about every on-sale dino motor oil you can find it's goten for changes, no leaks and nothing out of the ordinary out of the few months it's had Amsoil in it.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

Converting From Petroleum Motor Oil To Synthetic Motor Oil

Q. Is it true that installing AMSOIL or other synthetic oils will cause my engine to leak oil?

A. In modern vehicles, there is no risk of AMSOIL motor oil leaking. In fact, AMSOIL motor oil is fully compatible with modern seal materials. It is properly formulated to condition seals, keeping them pliable to prevent leakage.

As I stated it will not cause your engine to leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.