egt question/ kill story..sort of - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egt question/ kill story..sort of

first of my truck is programmed at the 60hp setting.. i dont have gauges yet (i'm know big mistake) but figured since i dont race or run it hard it will be safe for now... well a warning light came up yesterday. i believe it is the exhaust temp light.. at what temp does that light up?

reason it lit up was cuz as i entered the turnpike a 6.0 came up on me, he puffed some smoke, i figured i had no chance but what the hell, it will be a good benchmark..plus losing to another ford isn't too bad.. as i thought this over up comes a new DUDge.. well lets go, it step on it, a pulled slightly on the dodge but the 6.0 pulled on me (not too much so i was proud, i quickly let off the gas since i have no egt guage but too late, it lit up..hope it wasn't too late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

was it a CEL, if so it was probably an overboost or ICP to high or low code. these two are common with a chip or programer. you need a MAP fooler to eliminate the over boost situation "likely culprit" for the CEL.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what is a CEL, the icon on the dash was like a profile view of an engine..
Old 05-16-2007, 06:48 PM

CEL=check engine light. If you are holding the pedal to the floor through the shifts and the light comes on it is a fuel rail pressure problem. It's not a big deal it means that the fuel pressure got low but as soon as you let off pressure went back up. If your programmer can read and clear codes you will be able to turn the light off. I know this because my dad sets the CEL off on his truck all the time.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

cool thanks, just got the predstor programmer and havn't really fused around with it.. gonna try this weekend to check for codes
Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
I've set my cel off many times.. It generally throws a code, and even though I don't have a code reader, my guess is that it usually is the icp high or low just as these guys are talking about.

To my knowledge there is now factory sensor for exhaust temperature.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks, couldn't sleep last night, out of cash, cant afford to do major repairs.. the boat has sucked me dry
Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
The Fat Mod

A boat will do that I would not worry too much. You know your truck and how it should run. If everything seems to be in order, I say rock on But def get ya some guages, you will want them if you pull that beast much.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 AM

I have found with chips, as many here have verified, the it will fire off the SES light and throw a P1211 code..totally OK, and for all intents and purposes you can ignore it. When I get a tad heavy on the "gas"..ie pulling a slight grade and loading the engine, it'll throw the light and code but within a mile or so after creasting the hill or backing off the throttle, the light clears itself. Be wary though..the P1211 code will still be there and if you take it to a shop for service, they'll replace the IPC sensor...and charge you for it. So before youy have it serviced by a shop, either tell them to ignore that code or clear the codes by disconnecting the batts first.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks, i did not even think about that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.