hard start - rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard start - rough idle

hey guys- have a problem with a 02 450 7.3L psd with 115k- came in the shop barely running- replaced fuel filter, didn,t help- scan for codes, none- check HP oil level, okay- checked HP oil psi was about 250 psi- replaced pump and regulator- had a really hard time getting it started- finall got it to run but it barely runs and idles and won't accellerarte!
Also some one told me that the glow plugs stay on till engine warms up-thought they were on a timer and only stay on for a few seconds regardless of engine temp.
Anyway any help or ideas on this would be great - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

HMMM no codes. I gues an injector buzz test might be good, possibly an under valve cover harness.....Does it ever just stall on you? How does it start when it's cool?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

maybe just intrapped air it takes quite a while for the air to all get out. it could also be the IPC sensor
Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys thanks for the responses, after running it for a while it seems to get better, a little more power and accelleration is a bit better. I changed the fuel filter again and even seems a bit better.I buzzed the injectors and no codes or probs. I did scan again after another road test and did get an IPC code, I think it was a 1218 or 1280 code, but it seems to be intermittent and not sure if it is a result of it running poorly or this could be the reason. still seems to idle rough and seems to stumble when accellerating. thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys had another thought on my psd power and idle problem- this could be my imagination but the tach doesn't seem to sweep as smooth as i think it should- it seems to be hesitant,not jumpy, but just not smooth when it sweeps as it follows the accelleration of engine. I know the engine isn't accellerating smoothly and it seems to stumble but not sure if the tach could indicate a problem. Also it doesn't want to stall so i don't think its a cam sensor. Could low transmission oil cause any of this? I am driving home and thinking about it, so i apologize if I am rambling!! thanks.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM

that being said the CPS could be fixing to buy the farm
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM

did you unplug the icp and try running it? Mine would barely idle, and run like crap, but with it unplugged, it ran fine.

Last edited by bryanbrown; 05-14-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys thanks for all the suggestions- it seems to be running alot better after replacing the CPS sensor. I think I may have a weak injector, it still has a bit of a miss to her. I have noticed that every once in a while it seem like the engine shuts off for a split second while driving, although the dash lights don,t come on as if it stalled, just the engine seemed to cut out for a split second or two, any ideas? Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 PM

not to sugest throwing parts at it, but the ICP sensor may be bad. do like the other dude said unplug it and see if the idle improves, this will let you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.