Roar Noise From Front End 4x4 Auto Hubs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Roar Noise From Front End 4x4 Auto Hubs?

I Use My 2002 F350 4x4 Psd For Hauling Boats And Boat Trailers. I Usually Gross Right Around 20,000 Lbs Sometimes 22,000. When I Am Loaded With A 32 Ft Haul Trailer With 6 Trailers Stacked On It And 2 Trailers On Top Of My Cab On A Special Made Rack, I Get A Roaring Noise Out Of What Seems To Be The Front End. The Noise Comes And Goes, Maybe Every 20 Seconds Or So. I Know For Sure It Is Not Tires As I Replaced The Tires With New And It Made No Diff. I Dont Know Why, But I Feel Like Maybe My Front Hubs Are Tryiny To Engage My Front Halfshafts, Or Maybe My Transfer Case Is Trying To Spin The Front Driveshaft?? The Truck Has The Auto Locking Front Hubs. I Keep Wanting To Think That The Carrier Bearing Is Going Bad, But I Drive About 2400 Miles A Week On Average And It Gives Me Lots Of Time To Try To Determine Where The Noise Is Coming From And It Sure Seems To Be Coming From The Front. Also, When It Is Making The Roaring Noise, I Can Feel Some Light Vibration And I Feel It Most In My Feet (the Floorboard). What Kinds Of Things Can I Do To Help Diagnose What Is Going On? When I Am Empty With Just The Empty Haul Trailer You Dont Notice It As Much, And When I Have No Haul Trailer You Can Barely Feel-hear It But It Is Still There. It Is Getting Worse Though With Each Load, I Just Took A Load This Week From Illinois To Long Island New York And I Was Starting To Worry About Breaking Down. Have Any Of You Ever Heard Of Such A Thing? Can The 4x4 Auto Hubs Try To Start Engaging The Front Axles When Loaded Heavy Even If You Are Not In 4x4? Or Could This Be Something Completely Different? Thanks In Advance For Your Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 11:28 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearceTrucking View Post
I Use My 2002 F350 4x4 Psd For Hauling Boats And Boat Trailers. I Usually Gross Right Around 20,000 Lbs Sometimes 22,000. When I Am Loaded With A 32 Ft Haul Trailer With 6 Trailers Stacked On It And 2 Trailers On Top Of My Cab On A Special Made Rack, I Get A Roaring Noise Out Of What Seems To Be The Front End. The Noise Comes And Goes, Maybe Every 20 Seconds Or So. I Know For Sure It Is Not Tires As I Replaced The Tires With New And It Made No Diff. I Dont Know Why, But I Feel Like Maybe My Front Hubs Are Tryiny To Engage My Front Halfshafts, Or Maybe My Transfer Case Is Trying To Spin The Front Driveshaft?? The Truck Has The Auto Locking Front Hubs. I Keep Wanting To Think That The Carrier Bearing Is Going Bad, But I Drive About 2400 Miles A Week On Average And It Gives Me Lots Of Time To Try To Determine Where The Noise Is Coming From And It Sure Seems To Be Coming From The Front. Also, When It Is Making The Roaring Noise, I Can Feel Some Light Vibration And I Feel It Most In My Feet (the Floorboard). What Kinds Of Things Can I Do To Help Diagnose What Is Going On? When I Am Empty With Just The Empty Haul Trailer You Dont Notice It As Much, And When I Have No Haul Trailer You Can Barely Feel-hear It But It Is Still There. It Is Getting Worse Though With Each Load, I Just Took A Load This Week From Illinois To Long Island New York And I Was Starting To Worry About Breaking Down. Have Any Of You Ever Heard Of Such A Thing? Can The 4x4 Auto Hubs Try To Start Engaging The Front Axles When Loaded Heavy Even If You Are Not In 4x4? Or Could This Be Something Completely Different? Thanks In Advance For Your Help!
Are you sure your not hearing the fan working when the fan clutch engages and locks up and spins the fan. That gives a loud roar noise. Which is normal.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey there, no that is not it, I can hear the fan when it kicks on and off (especially when I have the A/C on) this is certainly drivetrain related.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearceTrucking View Post
Hey there, no that is not it, I can hear the fan when it kicks on and off (especially when I have the A/C on) this is certainly drivetrain related.

Ok just checking because some people hear that fan and get scared that something is wrong.

With what your describing it sounds like the carrier bearing or U-joints then. I had the same problem with my 2002 it lasted for about 20,000 before the carrier bearing exploded. Then I had to remove the driveshaft and limp home in 4wheel drive. Using the front end only.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Any resolve? Mine is doing the same thing and it feels like its in the front
Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 AM

I think ur inner bearings that hold ur axle in center are probably gone on going out. My truck did the same thing. Can u move the axle up n down a fair amount where it comes threw the frontend to the hub where the u joint is if so thats where ur problem is.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

This thing? If so, it has a lot of play and passenger side has none. What's involved in fixing it?

Last edited by merc123; 03-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just had those in my truck replaced and fix them if they have a lot of play before they stop working. Your steering and all will mess up.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

Truck is parked until I can get it fixed.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:59 AM

my hub assembly was good but the bearings the axle rides on were gone and the plastic cap that holds the axle in center had melted. Instead of having to replace the hub assembly which is around 300 i went to oreillys n they had the bearing that is inside the hub n i replaced that then I had to buy another locking assembly to replace the outside axle bearing n plastic cap. n all i spent 110 to get it back going
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.