7-pin wiring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7-pin wiring

I finished hooking up a battery isolator to my trailer so it can charge a winch battery while I drive down the road.

I wired it to use the +12v (black wire, 1'oclock position) on the 7-pin. When I test lighted it the power would only show in that wire when the key was in the on position. Now that I hooked it up to the battery isolator the isolator's posts have juice no matter if the key is on or off.

Why's that? It seems to me like it's operating like the brake controller in that it lights up when a trailer is hooked up but doesn't when it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

I'm just guessing....but when the trailer is hooked up, its completing the ground circuit?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
unplug it make sure you still have power to that wire when the key is on?
Maybe a fuse went. I would start there. Verify power to the accessory first?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

I did. I unhooked it from the isolator and it only had power when the key was on. The trailer wasn't hooked up to ball so I'm not sure about the grounded circuit. I used a voltmeter. It was pulling 12.5 to 12.6 volts with the motor off. When I had the battery hooked up to the isolator the trailer itself (just a random part of metal on the trailer) had 2.3 to 3.5 volts running through it when I grounded the voltmeter to the truck ball.

I have the trailer battery grounded to the trailer using a ground wire so that could be it?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you have power at the connector still. See if you have the same current to wher ever its going? At the end of the wire(where ever it is) MAke sure its not cut somewhere. If its 12.4 at the 7 pin. YOu are running that current to somewhere you should have that amount there too. I it does, I would examine the ground at this battery.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

The voltage is the same at the connector and at the isolator. I was saying that I was getting a reading touching any metal part of the trailer of 3 volts; i.e: putting the + probe on the bed of the trailer and the - probe on the truck ball gave me 3.6 volts.

My issue is when I test it at the connector it only shows voltage with the key on. When I hook that wire up to the battery isolator it has a constant draw and shows voltage no matter what position the key is in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.