Oil Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak

Well guys, I was lookin' at buy a 2000 F-350 SRW and I drove it maybe 75 yards and got out in a parkin' lot to look at it, the guy wasn't with me. Well anyways, I got under the truck to check it out and I noticed there was an oil leak in between the trans (6 speed) and the oil pan. I'm not sure where it was comin' from. It coulda been on up in the truck a little further, but it was leakin' down in between those things. I'm not sure what it is that's leakin' and I'm not sure if it's an easy fix. Any input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
what it sounds like is it could be the rear main seal....fixing it yeah pretty expensive you have to drop the trany...
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Oh crap, yeah, I was afraid somebody would say I'd have to drop the tranny. That'd be no fun at all. I was kinda thinkin' it mighta been a rear main seal, but I wasn't sure.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 PM

I'm taking mine in tomorrow for the same thing , but it's under the 100k so I'm OK.
I was going to have the air dog installed but I think I'll add extended warranty on it for now.
Good luck

EDIT !
5-29-10
Got mine back yesterday and my oil seepage was a bad crank shaft O'ring
that was causing my leak. Will see what happens now.

Last edited by Mike Hickman; 05-29-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:55 PM

Yeah, I'd go with an extended warranty too if I were you. They are worthless until you actually need them, but once you do they are the best thing in the world. Yeah, you're pretty lucky you have the warranty. If you don't mind, if yours is the rear main seal and that's what mine turns out to be, can you tell me how bad it is and all that. I mean, I'm hopin' it's not the rear main seal. Well, I'm sure either way I'll end up havin' to drop the tranny, which I really wouldn't like doing considerin' I can't do it myself and I just know the dealership is gonna bend me over pretty good.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Gonna drop it off tomorrow hope to know some time this week when I get it back . Might not do you any good by then but best I can do.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 PM

I really appreciate it. Yeah, the guy that's gonna sell it to me is gonna find out by tomorrow if he can get the dealer to sell him a truck he wants there. I still appreciate it though. I just really am gonna hate takin' it to a dealer to get it fixed.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 PM

These 7.3's don't lose rear mains very often. Chances are the oil is leaking from the top of your motor. Is it leaking down past the starter? If so, there is a weep hole in the rear of the valley on top of your motor. Any oil that leaks up there runs to the rear of the valley, through this weep hole & down the rear of the motor on passenger side. You should diagnose where the leak is B4 you take it in. Ford may just start replacing stuff w/o finding the leak first.
Spray a ton of gunk or starting fluid on the top of the "cool" motor & clean it up. Let her get good & hot, & while it's running, carefully jump up on the truck & shine a powerful light everywhere. Look at your turbo pedistol, HPOP, Plugs in the rear of the heads, Prolly turbo pedistal o-rings. Google Bill Hewitt, he's on powerstrokehelp.com Look at the 7.3 oil leak video. Very infomative. Good luck
Bruce
Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 PM

well in some cases people dont have steady hands. he could have missed the hole and got it in the valley... wich drains at the passenger side of the tranny...

this likely? no but its not something to overlook.. if there is oil all over the valve cover..that could be the whole issue...

HAHA bgj got there 2 minutes before me.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM

When its cool outside and my EBPV is active, mine leaks ALOT of oil from the pedestal around the EBPV actuator rod. When it's warm and EBPV is not active, it doesn't leak. I'm hoping to get time to gut mine soon to take care of that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.