what truck do i buy??? please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what truck do i buy??? please help

there ar two trucks i am looking at. please help. this will be my first diesel.

1) one truck is a 2001 cc f-350 with the 7.3L. it has a 12" lift kit with
181,xxx miles runs very good but has an oil leak from looks like the turbo pedestal. i heard it is a cheap fix. it has 40" tires, dual reservior shocks, dvd/cd player, extra set of 40" tires, stock tires, 2007 side mirrors w/turn signals, 2007 superduty tail gate, warn locking hubs. the truck is in overall good condition. $$14,500

2) the other truck is a stock 2001 cc f350 7.3L with 94,xxx miles. 35" tires, remote start and removable rear window. for $$14,500
i would eventually put a 12" suspension lift on it w/ 40's in the future which would cost around $7,000.

so would it be worth it to just get the truck that is already lifted to save me money? and should i really be worried about 180,xxx miles? or go with the stock truck with less miles, and spend that extra $7000 to put a lift on it. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well, 90K miles is a lot of miles but I wouldnt be worried about 180K. first truck? I would be more worried about the tranny on the first one than anything. if they put that kinda lift with those tires, how did they drive it? and thats a lot of stress on driveline
Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the quick reply, i drove the first truck today and everything shifted just fine. i dont have a whole lot of background info on the truck , so i dont know if the tranny has been replaced.

is the leak from the turbo pedestal something to worry about? i heard it was a cheap fix. the truck has alot of power this is my dream truck that i can actually afford. i think the seller thinks the oil leak is coming from the rear main seal , thats why he is selling.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM

I have no clue on the oil leak. personally I would probly get the first truck but I also wouldnt lift it 12", maybe 8 and more like 37s or 38s.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 AM

the oil leak could be coming from the high pressure oil pump too. and in my opinion i would by the 2nd truck (white) and do the lift yourself, because i bought a lifted truck and had to replace a bunch of stuff that was not correct on the lift kit, and that way you can do a lift that will fit your driving and uses.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to joeniel
Is this going to be a daily driver truck or a weekend toy?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I got mine looking something like the blue one. So from experience would suggest the white. It looks like a better truck from here. And a lift and wheels wont cost you 7k. Ive seen lifts on cl for 1000 and i paid 1500 for my wheels.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM

What is the service history on them?....that is probably the most important thing.

I bought mine with 190k on it, but full service history from the original owner.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:45 PM

LOL the first truck is ridiculous especially if its a daily driver. You'll get tired of it soon enough. IMO the stock truck is the better deal not only due to the way lower mileage BUT its STOCK. That means the owner did not screw with it and most likely did not take it off road so it hasn't been beat to death. Granted the lifted truck probably hasn't been beat to death either cause usually after sinking a ton of money in it the last then the guy wants to do is to go wheel it. If it was my choice the stock truck would be the one to get. Lifting a truck that much makes it worthless for 95% of the things a truck was meant to do. yeah it looks cool but thats about it. Youre even more limited on where you park, handling, gas mileage and overall maintenance will be higher and more of it sooner. If you want a lifted truck more power to you but IMO its a looks thing. i dont know where you get 7K ( unless you are talking BNIB parts top quality) for lifting a truck. I have better things to spend 7K on than a truck thats gonna lose value. I love my truck and I dont wanna see it vandalized or stolen dont get me wrong but its not something I would throw that kind of money at. if something breaks sure Ill fix it and i do the maintenance on it. 7k these days is a nice down on some rental property IMO.

Good luck on your purchase. Youll be money ahead with the stock truck IMO
Old 05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it wouldnt be a daily driver, i live about 30 min from work and would be getting a small commuter car for going to work and back. so how much would an 8 inch suspension kit installed run me? everyone is saying ill get tired of that big of a lift. why is that? handling?? the lifted truck also has stock gears, i wonder if that is hard on the tranny?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.