Tranny Fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Fluid

Hope this hasn't been beat to death, but most of the transmission fluid I've been finding is Dex/Merc that says it's compatable with just about everything except newer vehicles. Will this work in my '99? I'm planning on changing the fluid and filter soon, at around 90k. I don't have any problems so far, but since I'm not sure how it was treated in the past, I want to try to make it last as long as I can. I've also heard some people say that changing the fluid will kill a tranny because it frees up loose dirt and stuff, but I have a hard time believing that as long as you do a good cleanup. Any opinions on this? Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Depends on how you change the fluid. If your just gonna drain the pan, then your only changing about 30% of the fluid. You can disconnect on of the cooler lines and run the truck to completeley empty the whole thing, and the TC. That will not ruin it.

What ruins the tranny is when you take it to a shop and the "force" fluid through it. That is what can kill it. You can use Dex/Merc as well.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Dex/Merc meets or exceeds all requirements for your truck. I just had mine done. The fluid can be drained from the pan and my truck had a drain plug in the torque converter too after removing the cover. Got most of the fluid that way.
Be sure to drop the pan and replace the trans filter with a MOTOCRAFT filter. Clean the sediment out of the pan and make sure its clean. The pan gasket is rubber and reusable. I reused mine with 150k miles on it and havent had a problem.
Dont let Jiffy Lube or anyone perform a flush. This will stir up the sediment in the bottom of the pan and send it into the valve body and clutches and very well could cause a problem.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.