Whats a good paint job cost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Whats a good paint job cost?

Hey everyone, just curious about paint jobs. I got a crew cab long bed black/tan and i went to econo paint today and got a quote for just repainting the black. tan is great still, but the dually fenders and hood's clear coat is starting to peel. So anyways, for him to base coat and clear my truck he said 800, and if i wanted to be like a mirror shine to get it wet sanded and buffed for another 150. I have never had a vehicle painted but anyones thoughts on this.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

A good quality paint job cost a good amount of money . Now for 800 bucks it might look ok for a bit but I can guarantee that it won't stay nice for long.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM

that is what i was thinking. He is cutting me a break due to being military though, and for not having to do the bottom
Old 05-20-2010, 05:01 AM

to the top
Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
for a good paint job for a big truck your gona spend anywhere from 2k to 4k just denpend on if the painter likes you.. lol. they can charge anything they want so its gona be subjective. if they are fixing alot of dents then the price will go up or fixing rust. and the price will vary if its just a scuff and shoot or a complete sand down and respray. but if your doint just the black then yea i would say around 2 to 3k for a good quality job with good paint and materials.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 AM

well i went back to talk to the paint guy again today, and their military discount is 50% off... so i think im gonna go for it. thanks for the info. ill post up some before and afters.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM

i got quoted 8K. and i know the guy!! im sure it would be good quality. but no thanks. lol also my truck is in good shape.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM

I've worked in some paint shops 800 isnt to bad really gotta remember black paint is relatively cheap as far as paint goes . . If I were you I'd see what kind of paint and clear he is going to use. I've done jobs in the past for people who cheaped out on clear and those that bought a quality clear basically the ones that cheap out have a decent lookin truck/car for about 3 years and they peel . . I'm a PPG man there are cars running around I painted 6 years ago that still look like new money
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have to agree with SB19, its all in the paint and clear quality. Sounds like a scuff and paint. Even though you get 50% off your still barely paying for the labor and the masking of the truck. My bro owns the family bodyshop and he painted just one side of my mustang at cost and it was a about a grand. Thats at cost which is his techs hourly rate plus his cost on materials. Get a few other bids on it and ask what brand of paint and how many coats of clear that is included.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 PM

hmm when I read this I thought it was an individuals bodyshop 800 for a bigger shop is incredibly cheap . .I agree its probably a scuff and shoot which I have nothing against really if what your painting is in good shape you should ask them to use some scuff it or PPG DX101 it would be worth buying some and taking it to them *sniff sniff* smell that? it's the sh*t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.