What to look for when buying a 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to look for when buying a 7.3

i am looking at purchasing a 2000 7.3 with 300,000 miles. guy said very well maintained and it has an airaid filter, small chip and exhuast. any tell tail signs of a deal maker or breaker? any info would be greatly aprecciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Chapter Director

well after buying a 7.3 and making these mistakes myself i would definately
scan for codes, and if you can pull the chip and run it(my pcm was fried but the programmer was covering up the issues). check the tranny fluid. and tranny itself for leaks. odds are after 300k its been rebuilt and may need another soon.
check the intake if its dusty pull the filter and see if its dirty inside, if so the turbo and engine are probably dusted
check all the u joints and hubs in the front end.

if i were to buy another truck these would all be deal breakers for me, so far ive had to fork out close 5grand just to get my truck on the road again and ive only put 2k miles on it
Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Send a shout out to Marty. He can tell you a thread to look at to answer most of your questions. There was a post lately with the same questions you asked but I cant remember how long ago it was posted. Check for and identify the oil leaks, try to get an engine oil sample to get analized, look for silicone, anything that doesn't look stock I would ask about. Ask him to take the truck to get a scan to see what codes appear. If he is confident the truck is well maintained he will not hesitate to get it scanned. Good luck man.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM

yea im defiantly getting the oil tested and its a 6 speed, he just had a new clutch put in it so i think the trannys good. goin to see it tomorrow and maybe test drive it for a day or so, so i can take it to chason diesel where i live so they can check it out too. also ive been reading about aftermarket filters and how they let more dirt in or is that mainly just k&ns?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Chapter Director

i think thats only k&n, but some stock airboxes were know to let in dirt too
Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 PM

ok i went and drove it today wasnt impressed. my dad has a 06 6.0 with a six gun chip and thats what im used too. The steering felt kinda weird it was stiff sometimes and normal at other times. I knew not to expect the power like my dad has. it had power but i was expecting more cause it has a chip intake and exhaust. very very small oil leak for the rear not sure where from tho valve covers or rear main seal. he had all service records all little things change like ball joints and such. he went down to 13,000 on the price but i offered him 11,500 and he didnt take it. it blue books at 11,500 and lower. 13 is too much for me especially with the miles.

heres the add on CL
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat

what do yall think? theres no way im payin 13 i think thats to high
Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hiles View Post
ok i went and drove it today wasnt impressed. my dad has a 06 6.0 with a six gun chip and thats what im used too. The steering felt kinda weird it was stiff sometimes and normal at other times. I knew not to expect the power like my dad has. it had power but i was expecting more cause it has a chip intake and exhaust. very very small oil leak for the rear not sure where from tho valve covers or rear main seal. he had all service records all little things change like ball joints and such. he went down to 13,000 on the price but i offered him 11,500 and he didnt take it. it blue books at 11,500 and lower. 13 is too much for me especially with the miles.

heres the add on CL
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat

what do yall think? theres no way im payin 13 i think thats to high
Dude, donít even pay 11,500 for a truck with that many miles, there will be better deals out there. I paid 11,500 for mine over a year ago, it only had 160K on it, 4X4 CC SB XLT. Iím just sayin thereís better deals out there. Just my
Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine also had a 5" turbo back.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 PM

thanks yea i was thinkin and 11,500 is to high. he seemed like a good guy but he just want way to much.

yea im not in a hurry to get a truck, i just need to find the right one for the right price.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It took me a few months to find mine, It was a good buy, last week was the first time I had to spend any money on her. Just make sure you dont get one thats had the dog piss run out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.