Starting issues still???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Starting issues still????

Ok, my starter is from db electrical and is only 5 months old. My batters are new and charged, and my ignition switch seems to be working properly. My problem is sometimes (very rarely) when you turn the key to start the truck I get nothing. Everything lights up and wait to start light comes on but try to start tuck and nothing. when it is doing this I can not jump the starter solinoid either. Will do the same thing nothing. If the solinoid relay is bad will it not let you jump the truck off this way or is it something else wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Boy, if you can't jump the solenoid (small terminals right?) then I'd think it's bad and just hung-up...

This is the one under the hood - right?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Boy, if you can't jump the solenoid (small terminals right?) then I'd think it's bad and just hung-up...

This is the one under the hood - right?
Yeah the one under the hood. nope when it does this issue I try and jump the small relay under the hood and it sparks but no start. Makes the same sound as turning the key. Then out of no where she will start again when she wants. I bought a relay today so when I get home gonna throw it on and hope for the best.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
clean your hot wire, i had an issue like that and after cleaning the connector it was fine.

I also had another issue with my car, it would start fine the first time then the 2nd time trying to start it would just click, tested all my grounds and cleaned everything. I haven't had a single problem since.

a grinder with flap wheel makes for easier sanding/cleaning

btw sometimes cleaning the starter where it grounds to the block helps too.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

welp, changed out the relay and still having same issue. I plan on tomm pulling and cleaning all the cables and grounds. Gonna be fun and dirty, but really getting tired of this gremlin. Truck runs great minus this issue.......... Oh well, maybe tomm will be a better day. and thanks for the help guys!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

well, cleaned up all connections and has yet to do it again today. They were nasty so hoping this fixed the issue I was having. Guess time will tell......
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM

yeah keep us posted. it has helped me in the past many times.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Well........ hasn't totally not started up for me but here is what is is doing from time to time now. I turn key wait for wts light to go off. Then I turn key to crank truck and there is a slight , but noticable, delay. I am so tired of this crap. New starter, batts, fender relay, and cleaned and tight connections. I know there is a ignition switch under the wheel and parts store only wants like 17 bucks so guess I will try that next. I am just lost with this one.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 AM

have you checked to see if you are getting juice to the starter when you turn the key. Have someone holding a volt meter under the hood while you crank it.

Man I battled with my car like this for a while and I was just thinking about it...it made me laugh but what happened with me was, I was having a hard time starting as well..I cleaned, replaced, checked everything.

well when my motor was out I painted the block, the starter grounds to the block but since I had painted it I wasnt getting a good enough ground!!...I sanded the block of the paint and problem solved.

I would check the volts while cranking the truck and if all else maybe you can pull the starter again and sand away the area where it bolts to the block. It could be rusted and maybe not making a good ground
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

well took the electrical ignition switch apart today and it basically is a slide with copper contacts in it. Brushed and cleaned everything up and put some silicon lube to make slide better. Will have to wait and see if the problem still happens. I am running out of ideas but it seemed to still have a delay once out of the 6or 7 times I started the truck up. ........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.