Question on a possible purchase of a truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on a possible purchase of a truck

Hey guys ... I'm looking at possibly purchasing a friends 2000 7.3 PSD.

For performance, it has the BANKS powerpack. Ive been looking at threads on here and it seems like most people dont like BANKS products.

My question is what is wrong with them? What bad things have happened to peoples engines / transmissions after using BANKS products??

I am not looking for opinions, I am looking for factual information. I dont want to hear "he's arrogant"..."his products are overpriced"... "his products dont make as much power as others"...I just want to know if his products will cause harm to the truck or if it does a good job.

Last edited by JJT; 05-10-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
addicted to diesel

it can because likev most off the shelf products they have general programming that vwill work on any truck, which in turn means that it will not really control the tranny function in autos. that eventually leads to a fried tranny. besides most off the shelf products are a little more than an icp resistor mod with a few other things getting tweeked
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highraven99 View Post
it can because likev most off the shelf products they have general programming that vwill work on any truck, which in turn means that it will not really control the tranny function in autos. that eventually leads to a fried tranny. besides most off the shelf products are a little more than an icp resistor mod with a few other things getting tweeked
x2
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is this an assumption or factual info? Im not saying your wrong, but wondering what real life examples you have. Ive been researching it and found a guy with the the stinger-plus kit on his excursion. Its basically the same kit without the intercooler and full intake. He said hes had it on there since 3k miles and now has 172k. Stated hes had no problems and tows 20,000lbs regularly. I'm looking for real life problems with this kit.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I doubt there are any major problems that come with banks equipped trucks. His "tuning" if that is what you wanted to call it, isn't extreme enough to do a bunch of damage. But like stated before, the transmissions in these trucks give up at stock power levels sometimes, so adding power WITHOUT transmission tuning is asking for more trouble.

That is why we like our custom tuning. We can make more power, for cheaper, and have a better functioning truck. Not to mention customer service. Alot of tuners will bend over backwards for their customers. I doubt we will ever see ol' Gale do a back bend.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How exactly do you tune a transmission? The banks powerpack is supposed to give a 104/224 increase to the wheels. And your saying his tuning is fine, its just not "extreme" right? The truck i might purchase already has all this stuff on it. Its not like I have to buy it brand new or anything.

Your saying that this is bad....??

TransCommand®

(Required with Sidewinder® turbo, Stinger® and PowerPack® systems for Ford 6.9/7.3 and Power Strokes equipped with E4OD/4R100 automatic transmissions) TransCommand is an automatic-transmission-management computer that delivers functions that no single module can. The E4ODs and 4R100s—used in full-sized Ford trucks and vans since 1989—have soft, car-like shift characteristics. Many truck owners prefer firmer shifts, especially when hauling large loads. TransCommand is the quick, efficient cure. The electronic module senses the load and commands the transmission to raise the hydraulic pressure accordingly. Light-throttle shifts are smooth and firm, while full-throttle or heavy-load driving produces solid, decisive shifts. Excessive clutch slippage is eliminated, extending transmission life. Built with high-temp, solid-state components.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ILStroker350
where is the truck located?
want to take a buddy along who knows these 7.3 pretty well?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
How exactly do you tune a transmission? The banks powerpack is supposed to give a 104/224 increase to the wheels. And your saying his tuning is fine, its just not "extreme" right? The truck i might purchase already has all this stuff on it. Its not like I have to buy it brand new or anything.

Your saying that this is bad....??

TransCommand®

(Required with Sidewinder® turbo, Stinger® and PowerPack® systems for Ford 6.9/7.3 and Power Strokes equipped with E4OD/4R100 automatic transmissions) TransCommand is an automatic-transmission-management computer that delivers functions that no single module can. The E4ODs and 4R100s—used in full-sized Ford trucks and vans since 1989—have soft, car-like shift characteristics. Many truck owners prefer firmer shifts, especially when hauling large loads. TransCommand is the quick, efficient cure. The electronic module senses the load and commands the transmission to raise the hydraulic pressure accordingly. Light-throttle shifts are smooth and firm, while full-throttle or heavy-load driving produces solid, decisive shifts. Excessive clutch slippage is eliminated, extending transmission life. Built with high-temp, solid-state components.
Shift point, line pressures, TC lockup and unlock yada, yada, yada.

When you get the truck, you could pull some of that stuff off and sell it on craiglist. (Anything that custom tunes will take care of) That should help pay for a chip from TW, Beans, Swamps, DP, PHP, DI or where ever else you chose.

And FWIW, I'm fairly certain the 104/224 is probably the highest increase they had ever seen, so they used that for marketing. These trucks probably lay down 160-180 to the wheels in stock trim. With a $40 intake, a factory exhaust with a cat and muffler delete, and a custom tune will make anywhere from 310 to 320 hp to the wheels, even more on a dyno/live tuned truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.