slow engine crank and the fix - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
slow engine crank and the fix

I got this 2001 F550 with the 7.3 that has a pair of 1 year old Interstate batteries. Truck has been starting and running absolutely great until recently. Just in the past week starting the truck cold or warm was getting to cranking slower and slower. I was like WTF, it felt like the batteries were shot because you could shut the truck off and go right back to start it and you could just feel that the cranking was slower. And it felt like every time i went to start it that it was slower than the time before. Well, load tested both batteries individually and they tested over 1000 crank amps each. Cleaned all battery posts and terminals. The problem still persisted. It was almost bad enough that the truck would not start except barely.

Anyways I had a new starter laying around because of another issue that turned out to be a chipped flyweel. So I decided to put this new starter in. It was a gear reduction starter that I bought brand new for around $100 on Ebay. Starter installed easy, had to bend the wire terminal flat (it was at a 90 degree angle for old starter) but other than that it installed right up. Went to start the truck for the first time with the new starter and me and the mechanic looked at each other and said HOLY CRAP. Truck sounded 10x better with the gear reduction versus the old starter. It litterally sounds like a 6.0L while cranking now. It was a night and day differance in how much faster that the gear reduction starter turns over the engine. And not just the fact that the old starter was going bad, even when the old starter was good it still didn't start the truck as easy as this gear reduction does. I wish I would have installed this way back when I first bought the truck.

Anyways thats my slow crank story. I didn't know that a starter could slowly go out, I thought that they just suddenly stop but this was much much slower. Any how I am going to be purchasing another one of these gear reduction starters for a 99 7.3L that we have as well. Even though the starter in it is not bad, it is still well worth doing the change because now I look forward to starting my 7.3L and it just sounds so much healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM

hi kblazk,
by any chance you remenber the ebay store where you bought the gear reduction starter ???? there is a DB electrical starter on ebay that states " the highest torque " any info would help.... had the same issues starting my f350 dually and I am pretty certain the starter went out...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
haha yes sir..slow starters are very common..stupid things..least there cheap for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.