Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Using ATF as a Fuel Injection Cleaner.

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  gcop 
#1 ·
I stopped by my local auto parts store to buy oil, filter, and a fuel injection cleaner and the associate behind the counter who also has a powerstroke said he uses Chevron ATF as a fuel additive to clean his injectors. Has anyone tried this, or heard of any goo or bad things about this?

#2 ·
Dont do that in a PSD if i remember its actually worse for the injectors and such

#3 ·
i used it for 45,000 miles never had a problem
i would pour it right in the fuel filter when i changed them

Matt

#4 ·
Im glad u brought this up, i herd to do that too but make sure to use only Type "F" ATF. dont use DEX. the guy said to pore about half a qt per tank (ive got OBS stroker) every 10 or so tanks. can any elabrate on this?
ideas?

#5 ·
I did it when I bought my truck. It made the fuel mileage drop like crazy and it ran rough for a while. I use Diesel Kleen. It works a lot better.

#6 ·
I use seafoam in the filter housing when i change my filter... as far as the atf goes its not a good idea because of the new ultra low sulfer fuels have less lubrication than the good ole dinosaur brains did so by adding a harsh solevant to your fuel system is not good!... your injectors use the diesel to lubricate their internal parts... thats why if you ever get water in one it will sieze up right now!

#8 ·
ATF has alcohol "NOT GOOD" for your injectors, just by the Fuel addative you want to lubricate the injectors not burn them theres actually a good write up here somewhere. Marc can break down why not to if he catches this post

#9 ·
Diesel Kleen does work well, it's cheap enough and available just about everywhere, including Wal Mart. I see no reason at all to do the ATF, but like F-350MAN said maybe Marc can shed some light on the subject. :twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.