Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Proof my 2002 7.3 did not have a catalytic converter ?

51K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  doubleslottedflaps 
#1 ·
How can I prove my truck did/did not have a catalytic converter? I changed out the exhaust when I bought it 2 years ago and the stock system didnt have one. Now Im failing inspection because of it. This is the same guy that inspected my truck last year.:mad: I cant find an EPA sticker either.

#5 ·
I called Ford and gave them the last 8 of my VIN and it showed a part number for it but I dont know for sure it it had one or not. Im starting to lean more to the not and I got the shaft by the previous owner.:doh: A new one is almost 500. Ford wants 2500!!!!!!! WTF:mad:

#26 ·
Your close. It's all E99's have cats. L99 to 03 autos no cats. 01-03 manuals cats. And FYI to everyone there is no "specail California trucks" since the Superduty was released. There is how ever the "specail California OBS trucks" which are the desired one's because they have larger injectors 130cc AD's I think and with the right tuning you can get 60 more horse out of them vs. the federal OBS. I have 5 7.3's that came from the factory with no cats bought off California Ford dealer parking lots and 1st registered in California. Plus it looks like California isn't the only emissions hassling state.

#6 ·
My 01 F550 doesn't have a cat. It's a 7.3/auto. I special ordered it, and I live in California. I don't think any of the 7.3's came with a cat. Mine also says "non-catalyst" under the hood.

#13 ·
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I installed the dynomax exhaust that was a turbo back system and it had no provision for a cat. What worries me is that there is no EPA sticker and I got one of the oddballs. I read that they were hit and miss between 99 and 03. I just sold my gun to cover the cost of another toy I bought and now I am going to have to cover this unless I can pull something out of my a$$. I might try and take it to another shop.

#14 ·
ok, i just went to check mine.

my 1999 7.3 auto HAD a cat. there are no stickers reguarding the exhaust system under the hood. thankfully the po cut the cat and muff out so its a stock straight pipe system lol

and my 1997 7.3 auto HAD a cat too. but i deleted it :D

no issues yet on inspections.

#46 ·
I hate to throw off the concensus, but my early E99
6 speed did not have a cat. My grandfather bought it new and I removed the factory system.

#20 ·
I'd think that'd work.

i just sold my obs cat last month to someone up north lol.

why would an auto not have a cat when a manual does? what was the reason behind it?
I've always wondered that, maybe the way the exhaust is routed the auto trans. is bigger and there's no room?

#21 ·
Well, the only thing ive ever read/ been told is that the manuals have higher hp numbers so they ran a cat to help with emissions. Even though the autos are only rates like 20hp less they didnt see the need for a cat. Just what ive heard:thumb:

#22 ·
cats dont do anything on diesels.. dunno why they have em.

#25 ·
if it was me i would just go to a dealer and tell them you need the not catalyst sticker and buy it and stick it under the hood and call it good. You can order one through ford or on some website cant remember the url ill look for you though.

#28 ·
yep, my e99 has a cat, it is located just in front of the muffler... so i wouldnt think space would be the concern.

#36 ·
Well it came in today and I got it installed. I was running a straight pipe but I have put the muffler back on along with the Magna Flow cat. I have to admit, I am kind of enjoying the quite cab.

#39 ·
All the resonators I have seen were towards the rear near the tailpipe. If it was forward of the muffler, I would assume its the cat. My neighbor, who was a Ford mechanic, says you can loose mileage by removing the cat because you take away the back pressure. Im not sure I believe that. He also says that chips are crap and programmers are better. Now I have never had a programmer other than the super chips one that came with my truck, but I can honestly say I am very happy with my DP tuner.

#40 ·
Hey bud, I saw this a little late, but if you have any problems drive on up here and I'll take you to my guy :thumb: He'll pass ya :nod: He's in haymarket, so it's a hike, but he's an old timer who NEVER gives me a problem.

#42 ·
Glad it worked out for ya :thumb: Sorry you're out the money for a cat, but at least you got your sticker, and you can reuse the cat once a year now every May :thumb:

#43 ·
Wow! Haven't been on here for a while!
I've got 2-early '99's and both have cats on them and both are auto and stock!
I was going to tell you not to buy a cat,because I'm going to cut mine out and trash them when i get a chance,but if someone on here needs them-you are welcome to them if you want to pay for shipping(not too much to ask):hehe:
When I get time to do that,I'll let you guys know!
Oh-both of mine are pre 7-98 production year-if that means anything:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.