Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

cam sensor need help

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  IraqvetUSMC 
#1 ·
i have a 03 7.3 and it starts hard, I know their was a cam sensor recall could that cause my problem since i have not changed the sensor

#3 ·
thanks

I figured it wasent the cps, it cranks over fine and runs great when started. i also had a exhaust back pressure code EBR sensor, thats the only other code it put up.

#4 ·
i would get tht cps changed out anyways its a free part with free labor, and several guys have told me that sometimes ifthe cps is goin out, it'll get harder to start and then eventually it of course will not start.

#7 ·
I should see if my truck has the bulliten out for the cps change, it should. I just got the truck so havent had time yet to look into the cps. But when the truck starts it runs good. I noticed that once i pulled the superchip out of it, it started a little quicker,not much but a little. If my cps was going bad the truck prolly wouldnt run great. i need to get it back from the body shop so i can work on it. And i did just change the oil so its not that and i changed the fuel filter and no the air clearner is clean. It acts like the fuel is not priming like its not getting the fuel it needs on the start up.

#9 ·
When the CPS is bad it just works intermittently, it's either sending a signal to the PCM that the engine is turning or not - Not sending no signal for the first seconds every time you go to start, and then works fine the rest of the time.

It will cause the engine to just quit and then after it cools-off (or something) for 10 mins it just works again. Sometimes for weeks ! :)

Even if it's been changed, you should get a spare for the glovebox anyway and carry one with you. They are easy to change and you can always try it to see if it'll cure a problem.

#10 ·
But its 70 here i was told that anything above 50 did not require the glow plugs

#12 ·
Well i will have that cps changed because i was a tank mechanic in the Marines and I have seen stuff fix crap that i would not have thought would have fixed it. But the only symptom i have is the long crank time after that everything is fine and i does not matter if the truck has been running or not. I can run it for aawhile and shut it off then start it 30 seconds later and still takes 5 to 10 sec to start up, so that is telling me that its prolly not the glow plug relay

#13 ·
Its excessive cranking i should have made that clear it takes about 5 to 10 sec of crank time for it to start

#14 ·
But if it was the fuel pump, then it would act up while driving it. i would think.

#15 ·
Hows it "spin"? Weak batteries will cause a long start because the engine has to turn fast enough to build pressure in the HPOP so the injectors get the proper pressure (otherwise the computer won't send the injection signal until a high enough pressure has been reached)

So, the faster it spins the faster it starts ;)

#16 ·
I will have to check the batteries again i think they were fine but i will double check.

#19 ·
I will deff check the batteries also i know the truck has not been driven much at all maybe just driving it will help, And I just changed my oil its got about 5 miles on the oil change I used rotella 15-40 but now i hear some people have trouble with rotella but owell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.