Ignition Problems. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ignition Problems.

Ok, since I have bought the truck back last summer I have not needed to push the clutch in to start the truck. Every blue moon when I turn the key to fire her up I get nothing. It is not the batts or starter. When it does this I have tried to take a screw diriver and jump the starter solinoid on the pass fierwall and also get nothing. It usually hasn't been an issue and after a few turns of the key she bust off, till this morning trying to leave the house. I have checked everything I know to check and can only assume it it due to having no nuetral safety switch on the truck. Any ideas why she bust off 90% of the time and has this random starting issue......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

anyone please help......
Old 04-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It sounds like you have a bad switch on the clutch peddle because That Is your "Neutral Safety Sw" in a manual trans.

So, I'd say the sw tells the PCM that the clutch peddle is depressed when it's Not and allows the start signal to go to the solenoid to engage the starter.

BUT sometimes the opposite happens and even though the peddle IS depressed, the PCM thinks it's Not because the switch is no just No Good.

Find the switch on the peddle, and replace it, if you're stuck try removing it and jumping it out
Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Ok, well. I went by the parts house and found out that I have the neutral safety switch on the pedal but nothing plugged into the switch. For the life of me I can not find anything tucked away under the dash that would have plugged into it. My luck the previous owner cut off the plug. Hopefully someone could tell me what color wires I am looking for and how many. Also, on a side note. I was doing some reading on the starter solenoid on the pass fednerwell. I know the small wire with the boot but plugs on to the solenoid send power from the ignition switch but how much voltage should I have to it? I am only getting like 5volts and wanted to make sure that was current.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Does someone mind taking a volt meter out and checking to see how many volts they are getting to the ignition wire with boot on the starter relay solanoid. Still having my weird and very random no start problem. Also, anyone know where the wires are for the nuetral safety switch? The switch is on the pedal but the plug in is mia..........
Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it works sometimes and not others when there wasnt a plug hooked to your switch on the clutch pedal, I would guess the previous owner bypassed the switch and hooked the missing wires together. I would also look at a bad ignition switch since its random...........
Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

kk, wonder how much the ignition switch runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.