When does this end? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ExcursionPSD
When does this end?

Wanted a diesel for years. Found a beautiful Excursion Limited in nearly show room condition with 100K. So I buy it. In the first 4,000 miles the following work has had to be done:

1. Replaced the fuel pump, sending unit in tank and fuel filter. $1,600 plus $150 in towing. Happened the third day that I owned it.
2. Replace both batteries. $190
3. Replace tires. $610
4. Flush Transmission. $100
5. Flush radiator. $100
6. Replace wiper blades (3). $20
7. Front end alignment. $100
8. Oil change. $60

As if this was not enough introduction to the PSD club this morning I get in the **** thing and the steering is out. Left front tie-rod broke and took out the ABS brake sensor along with it. I replaced the tie-rod myself to avoid tow charges again. Decided to replace the right front tie-rod end just in case. Spent $150 on 2 tie-rods and a new ABS brake sensor cable...did the work myself. Off to get the front aligned...again...in the morning.

It all adds up to well over $3,000 in about two months. Also noticed that two shocks are leaking so that will be another couple hundred bucks in the near future.

This is the first Ford I have owned in years and I am a patient guy, but if this rig breaks down on me again I'm going to have it crushed...sorry, but this is getting out of control.

Oh yeah, it had a clean Oasis report and carfax as well...one write up at 93,000 miles on the Oasis. I bought it for a song and expected things like the tires and front end alignment. I love the X, but come on.

Flame suit on

Give me some encouragement...please!

Last edited by ExcursionPSD; 05-02-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
The Fat Mod

Sounds like you have taken care of everything that needed to be done in the near future. I hope you have good luck out of er from here on out. I guess with any vehicle you can have a run of bad luck like that. I sure hope it is over for your sake. Was the place you had a lot of the repairs done a place that you trust?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I'm with Logan here Scott - all but #1 were normal PM things you'd do to any vehicle. I get the feeling you'll be fine from here on out and loving your Powerstroke like the rest of us.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I hear you about getting a lot of repairs all at once...I promise...this is what happens with 100+K miles. I dropped $2700 on replacing my 6 psd tranny 6 months after buying it...then 2 months later 2 batteries and an ALT($400)....6 months later, new balljoints($700) and tires ($900!!!!), not to mention the first set of tires I bought and replaced b/c of the balljoints ($800). That's about $5800 worth of repairs since OCT 05, not to include oil changes and modifications! Oil changes are well worth it for you to do them every 3000 miles. If you take care of the truck it will take care of you!

I think your truck sat on the lot for a while and your just shaking it loose. It will be fine.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if its a 7.3L...get yourself a spare CPS sensor and carry a small 1/4" drive metric socket set with ya. Mine hasn't gone out (yet) but from what I hear they're notorious for going south and leaving ya on the side of the road.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to ExcursionPSD
Guys sorry for the rant...I know you are devoted to the Ford Powerstroke. I'm sure I will be too in time. I just would like for it to run for a while without all the drama.

Had the fuel pump replaced at a Ford dealer out of town. I was on business when it died and I did not know the town.

The other stuff, except the tie-rod ends and wiper blades, have been done by a local dealer that came highly recommended. Seem to be good people to work with.

Since I spent so much time at the Ford parts counter today I asked about the new rumored reduced price CPS. Neither dealer would admit to knowing anything about the price reduction.

Looking forward to some trouble-free miles.

Last edited by ExcursionPSD; 05-02-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Hope she levels on out and flies straight for ya!! When she does, you will love it!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oil change - do yourself, it's easy.
Batt's you should have bought 2 and installed them yourself.
Tranny flush - should have done yourself - also easy.
Wiperblades - I replace mine once they start to smear - they're only like 3 bucks each.

ok i'll stop there - I'm more a DIY kinda guy.

I can't foresee much more going wrong with it.

hope it gets better for ya!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM

don't feel bad I have an 03 E550 and if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole. Straight up, in my opinion, I would rather have had the v10 triton, or just about ANY gas engine. I also have a 97 E350 14' box truck with the 5.4l triton. In the 3 years and 100k miles I've personally put on it, its NEVER failed to start, to get me where I needed to go AND back home again. Maintence has been minimal at best, oil changes once every century (just kidding...sorta) and this gal still runsd like a champ. Meanwhile..the 03 has been nothing but headaches and a moneypit! The 350 has MORE than paid for itself many times over while the 550 with the diesel, which I've had for right about a year now, has cost me so much it'll probably never see even money, but I'm stuck with it. I don't get any better mileage with it, fuel cost more per gallon, ya gotta change oil and filter every 3-5000 miles...with 3 1/2 GALLONS (not 5-6 qts), then fuel filters, air filters, CPS sensors, iprs, icps..and the list continues on and on. (just read through all the posts here and you'll get the idea. The Ford diesels are maintence intensive and are about as forgiving as a lightening bolt, unlike their gas counterparts. This beastie of mine...well, with all her problems, I still take her on the long runs since she's outfitted with a rather nice "sleeper" area (which I built). I just wish the day comes soon when she's as dependable as my 350, but I really doubt that will ever happen.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
That's all pretty routine maintenance aside from the fuel pump issues. I hate to bring bad news, but Carfax is crap. They are not what they make everyone think. I'll see if I can find a post where I described why, prevent myself from typing for an hour...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.