Dunno what happened... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Dunno what happened...

OK...so this morning at about 0600 I was leaving work and going home to get some sleepy. I got onto 32 and was heading home at about 55-60mph. I had to get over to the left lane so that an SUV could merge from an access ramp and WTF?!...there is a car already up my butt!!! He wasn't there when I changed lanes so he HAD to be going at least 90mph. So, while he is riding my butt, I decide to let him have it...so I flip over to "Soot the a-hole" setting (140hp Xtreme) and floor it w/out shifting out of 5th. Boost JUMPS to about 25psi and there is a cloud of soot following me down 32.

The retard jumps to the right lane and trys to keep up but he can't...then, out of the blue...the SES light pops on!!!! I'm like WTF??!!! SO I flip the switch down to Tow/haul and it feels like the "Dude we had too much boost" signal from the MAP sensor has hit. This has me worried b/c I have an ITP MapFooler and since I've set it correctly, I haven't seen or felt the overboost code. I drive very lightly until I get home (about 5-10 mins) and the SES light is STILL on!!! So, when I park at home I leave it running and pop the hood. I did a little looking around and everything looks OK...so I turn the truck off and wait about 3 mins...and restart it. SES is GONE!? I'm talking to Brisco like, "C-mon buddy...tell me what I did wrong. Did I hurt something?! C'mon boy!" Brisco gives me no clue as to what happened.

So, anyone have any ideas? I don't have a code reader or anything...YET! Also, this evening when I left to come to work...no problems whatsoever! I'm scared that I hurt my truck! HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Maybe a code set off from the HPOP due to the 140 setting?

I've messed with my 140 "smoke" tune, and haven't stood on it long enough to lag out the HPOP.

If you've seen +20PSI before without a code, then you can say that the mapfooler was atleast working beforehand if that was the issue.

Just some ideas, Ditty...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

if the SES light stayed off...odds are your fine...

Without the code its tough to say what it was though...it is possible to overboost with a map fooler...lets say the resister tricks the MAP signal by 7psi...well...if you go 8 psi over..you can still get the overboost (just an example..)

could be an ICP high/low code too for lack of high pressure oil pressure...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
The Fat Mod

Sounds like what mine did a few times. Its like once it pops the SES light, it goes into "safe mode" or something. If you pull over and turn it off and then start it back with no SES light, you have full power again. Did you have any performance issues with it, or just the light?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM

I have a mechanical Fooler from ITP....it lets the MAP see everything until 22PSI...then all it 'sees' is 22psi. I've been driving with my 140hp setting ofr MONTHS and was hitting 30-31PSI boost before the turbo rebuild and NEVER had a SES light after I set the map fooler correctly. (I goofed it when I first put it in...but StrayCat told me how to set it correctly and it's been working right ever sence. Until this morning.)

Could it have been the HPOP b/c the truck wasn't up to 100% temp yet? (I forgot to put that in there.) I think is was about 1/2 way to Normal Temp. I know I shouldn't push the truck too much until it's up to temp...that was my mistake.

I tryed to do it again on the way to work this evening but I couldn't get enough room...traffic was crappy b/c people are dumb and slow to 20mph on the freeway when there is a car on the other side changing a tire! EVERYONE HAS TO LOOK! LOL
Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally...when I get one of those riding my butt...I just kinda grin and ever-so-slightly tap my brakes...just enough for the rather intense LED brake lights( 2- 4" dia ea side) to blind the idiot...that backs em off real quick..LOL especially since they're on a 20' box truck! Been a$$ended once on the highway...ain't no contest...car lost..LOL
Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
LTJDS

Smile Map Foooooler

On my 7.3L that was my previous baby, I had a spring loaded MAP fooler and oiled and all it would still infrequently not overide. Poss your fooler mal-functioned ?? Don't think you hurt a **** thing....
You know how your baby sounds and feels... If it is all the same ,
My guess is no harm done.
PS: check your map fooler and adjust or replace accordingly.
PSS: Keep Smokin' them bastards...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:31 PM

I have an ITP overboost, and I can run mine up to 30 quick, and it might not set a light, but if I'm building slow boost (like up a hill), if it goes over 25, the light comes on nearly every time. I haven't turned the regulator down, and it may be the hpop, but I'm usually not a wot when it happens. I need to turn it down a notch and see what happens. It's weird though, 25 seems to be the number. If I keep it just under that, it won't set the light. Maybe mark your regulator, so you know where you started, and turn it down a few notches, and go out and try to do it again.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:31 PM

This is the Fooler I have:

Overboost Annihilator

I'm going to go through the adjustment proceedure in the morning and also goto Advanced Auto Parts and have the codes read. After thinking about it, I think I MIGHT have touched the MapFooler while I was doing my turbo work 2 weeks ago. I'm also going to be a little more attentive and NOT try and soot people until the truck is up to temp. I can't afford to have my truck down or replace anything major that breaks. Ditty got to eat food and drink beer you know!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
I'm also going to be a little more attentive and NOT try and soot people until the truck is up to temp.
WHHHHOOOOAAAA!!!!Let's not start talking crazy now. If you gotta do it, you gotta do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.