Cranks but No Start (F-350/manual Trans) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Cranks but No Start (F-350/manual Trans)

so I just bough this truck F-350 7.3L with 6 Gear manual Trans and it does cranks but do not start, I am new at this and wondering, what are the places I should check to get the truck to start(I did checked the fuse box inside hood and cab but they all look good, do not know were else to check and hope someone will give me good advice, thanks to all (the previous owner said that truck stopped working one time in the road and from there no start at all just cranks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Welcome to the ORG, we'll get you running agin.

1st check you oil level, these truck use high pressure oil to accuate the injectors if its low all you will do is crank.

How man miles do you have? Any little bit of info will help the 7.3 techie get you running.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has oil to the limit were it supposed to-I know this motor shut off or act up when low in oil since we had a 2000 excursion and will do that, now the miles is 190,000 and believe that is ok miles to what this motors can do. It does have a alarm system and believe is stock from dealership i believe, this truck does not sound if motor was bad or knocking. Truck has 6 speed manual transmission and airbags system in rear with motor brake. I check all wiring and seems fine.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When you roll the key on, do you have a WTS (Wait To Start) Light?

Is there fuel in the filter housing? (open the yellow drain lever and look for it to drip out of the tube, attached to the engine, behind the pass ft tire)

Cranking at normal speed? (it will Never start cranking very slowly)

What do you know about the CPS sensor? Did the previous owner have the recall done?

There's a start
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i called the dealership and said that needed the two recalls done and believe is the following since i found it when i car fax the vin:
: Open Recall found:
Manufacturer recall issued
Recall # 07S57
CAMSHAFT POSITION (CMP) SENSOR INSPECTION /
REPLACEMENT

Manufacturer recall issued
Recall # 09S09
SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION

But not sure if either one is the CPS sensor you talking about, so either way i made appoinment to get this recalls fixed.
I do have WTS light, there is fuel in the filter housing, and the cranking speed is at normal speed. Do you know if any of this recalls will fix the problem or are even close to maybe?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The CPS is the first one (Cam Position Sensor) and, with 190K on the clock I'd say you were overdue

It may well be the culprit here and would be the First thing I would have changed! In fact, most of us here carry a spare CPS in the glovebox because even the replacement ones are prone to fail with symptoms you're now having.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The CPS is the first one (Cam Position Sensor) and, with 190K on the clock I'd say you were overdue

It may well be the culprit here and would be the First thing I would have changed! In fact, most of us here carry a spare CPS in the glovebox because even the replacement ones are prone to fail with symptoms you're now having.
This is what I was thinking about, thought it would be better off with a 7.3 bubba help out.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok guys sounds that may be the problem, and hope it is cause it be free repair since it needs the recall-lol But we will not know until I send to dealership. I really appreciate your help here in this forum and hope to keep n contact, I really believe i will learn much from you guys. Thanks alot-i will definately recomment this site to my fellows who have 7.3 engines. I will keep you post it if this fixed the problem or not, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.