Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Boost leak

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bdlight4 
#1 ·
Over the weekend, I installed new up pipes. Now I have what sounds like a boost leak. At 60 mph, the gauge shown no boost. If I floor it, the gauge will hit 20 psi, but I hear a hissing sound that was not there before. My question is, what type of sound would it make if I had a leak between the up pipe collector and the turbo? Would it sound more like an exhaust leak, or an air leak? Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Up-pipe will sound like an exhaust leak and you will be able to see soot in that area

#3 ·
Sounds good. I was hoping it would not be the up pipe collector at the turbo. That clamp is a bear. I'll look else where for a leak. It does sound like it is a post turbo leak.

#4 ·
Just climbed out of the truck. Everything looks good. All boots look good and tight. Both green and red tubes are in place. I do not see any soot around the up pipe collector and the back of the turbo. Truck to hot to touch at this point. Does anyone think the EBV could be sticking or I turned the rod and it is out of adjustment. The hissing sounds just like the EBV. The EGT seem to running higher now. I may have to take it all apart again. Any ideas???

#5 ·
Looked at the truck again lastnight. I was hoping it would be something simple. Of course with my luck, it is never something simple. The leak was not a boost leak, it was the up pipe collector not seated on the turbo. Now, the truck is nice and quiet and I have great boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.