Switching to synthetic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Switching to synthetic

OK a couple of questions that I hope you guys can save me some headaches and possibly some money. It's an 03 7.3 with 233,000 that as far as I know (bought 190,000 on it and have maintained it well since) has always had conventional rotella oil ran through it and I was considering switching over to syn blend or full blend oil but a few people I talked to it about (salesmen from various auto parts stores, not diesel mechanics/owners hence why I'm asking you guy's) they said that if I switched I got responses like it will start burning oil (which it doesn't now), and my driveway will turn into an oil slick from all of the drips and leaks because the synthetic will clean out any old oil deposits/plugs/whatever that's built up over the years. I was considering this change to synthetic thinking and maybe I'm wrong, it would help extend the life a little longer, little easier starts and possibly better fuel economy? If I'm wrong please let me know and I'll save money,stick with the old dino oil, and not have to powerwash my driveway every couple of months because my engine is leaking everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had 225,xxx back in late dec. when I first went with synthetic. Made the cold starts so much easier in the early mornings and I have almost 4,000 miles on the oil with no leaks as of yet. I do have a ccv mod on my truck so that is the big reason my boots are not leaking. I plan on going back to 15-40 on the next change due to price and warmer weather. But for the colder months I will be running the syn again!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have 220k and I switched to syn. and have no problems yet. I was told that a lot of those "facts" are just tales and there is no problem with switching, but from what I have been told, don't switch back and forth.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

I switched to Amsoil full synthetic at 150K on my truck and have had no issues. Make sure to use a good diesel engine flush treatment before you switch, from what I understand this removes a most of the build up that may occur in conventional oils so the detergent properties of the synthetic won't kick up a bunch of gunk into your filter.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM

High mileage on your truck (200K) and and beyond...thinking about changing to full synthetic for the first time. People stating its gonna f-up your truck.....old wives tale, folk lore, old myth. People just don't know what they are talking about. It's something stuped that sounded good...so they repeated it....it just sounded good to them and they pass it along and they repeat it.....CHANGE TO FULL SYNTHETIC....won't hurt a thing. Probably the best thing you can do for your high mileage truck...........
Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Been using Amsoil synthetic in my 2004 since I bought it with 99,000 miles on it. I'm at about 125,000 now and on my second crankcase full with no issues. I run it for a year and change it out. Had it in -19 weather over the winter without plug in. Started right up..... I'm thinking about going to bypass filtration so I can leave it in the crankcase longer. We'll see. I know of a guy with a cummins that runs bypass with oil analysis and has had the same oil in it for four years. Don't know if you can (or would want to) get away with that in a Powerstroke. Aren't they harder on the oil since it's used for the injection system? Anybody have any bypass experience with these engines?

Last edited by 6.0newb; 04-24-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:01 AM

I have been told by some what once you switch you shouldn't go back, my amsoil dealer said that it wouldn't hurt a thing. I told him that I already have the reg rotella and he said use it up and then switch back to syn. I have the blue syn rotella 5w40 for the winter and now I'm back too reg 15w40. Anyone every actually seen any negitave effects from this?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:36 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

There will be no problem switching back and forth.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju015dd View Post
There will be no problem switching back and forth.
That's what I figured, i bet its some myth said by an oil maker so that you keep buying the high dollar oil.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
That's what I figured, i bet its some myth said by an oil maker so that you keep buying the high dollar oil.
nail on the head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.