New (to me) PSD, 1st diesel. what to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New (to me) PSD, 1st diesel. what to do?

Finally got my first Diesel. 2000 F250 PSD 6 speed 4x4. truck is real clean and runs great. 141k miles. Ill try to get pics up soon but I'm not exactly great with computers.

Anyways, I was wondering what I should do off the bat to ensure long life of the mighty 7.3. truck came from the original owner who took incredible care of it. it was his third diesel. truck has never been in an accident, never pushed a plow or pulled a trailer. He has done oil changes every 4k. I know his CPS went once and was replaced. the rear main seal went and was fixed. truck has had the usual front end work including ball joints.

overall the truck has no rust, clutch grabs very low, drive shafts are solid as can be, 4x4 works flawless, no smoke at all. truck has been bone stock all its life.

what are some maintenance points I should look into? I forgot to ask if he was running synthetic fluids but I will find out. If not should I switch to it? what should I be doing to the motor? I'm still a little new to the 7.3, but not completely a noob. I have experience with 7.3 ambulances and farm equipment. any help is greatly appreciated. I just want to ensure smooth sailing and long engine life.

Btw - for now, I plan on intake, stacks, and chip. what do you guys recommend for intake and chip??? I have one friend with a '06 5.9 who swears by the edge with attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

DIY intake, and exhaust. for a chip stay away from programmers. go with custom tunes. TW, Beans, etc...

as far as the rest of the maintenace goes it sound like you have a pretty good handle on it. maybe upgrade the torque converter and VB?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Definitely get a custom chip. DP, TW, Beans are all good chips.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Congrats on the new Rig... if your interested we can set you up with a package deal that will save you a good amount of money on everything

-Raul
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Talk to Raul, he is a good guy.

Forget everything your cummins buddy tells you.

You can build your own intake for about 40 bucks. Go to Napa and get fleet filter 6337 (I think that's the number, someone correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while). Find some 4" diameter pipe and a 5 in hose clamp. Piece it all together.

Raul sells Tony Wildman chips, gauges and stack kits. I'm sure you could work something out with him.

Enjoy your new truck!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Edition Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar Edition
the number one thing to do is get guages, after that do whatever you wish, 6 position chip, 4-5" exhaust, intake

Chad
Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 AM
shaking things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
maybe upgrade the torque converter and VB?
cant do that on a six speed hand shaker bud
Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
cant do that on a six speed hand shaker bud
d'oh! thanks lol id say hes in good shape then! get that truck!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

thanks for the input guys. appreciated. Raul - ill send you a PM in a second.

BTW - im also looking into upgrading headlights, grille, and mirrors. specifically like '04 mirrors, '05 grill and like '05 grille. is any modification needed or is it all bolt up?

any more tips on maintenance? what should I do for fluids and whatnot? I feel like I almost should flush everything to make sure. does anyone do Seafoam treatments?? I use seafoam on gas jobs to clear out carbon buildup. worth doing it on the 7.3?? and if so what is the best way?

Sorry for the newb questions, just wanna start off right. again, im fairly new to the site so if there is like a FAQ section im missing let me know.

thanks for everything guys, this site rocks.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFORD View Post
thanks for the input guys. appreciated. Raul - ill send you a PM in a second.

BTW - im also looking into upgrading headlights, grille, and mirrors. specifically like '04 mirrors, '05 grill and like '05 grille. is any modification needed or is it all bolt up?

any more tips on maintenance? what should I do for fluids and whatnot? I feel like I almost should flush everything to make sure. does anyone do Seafoam treatments?? I use seafoam on gas jobs to clear out carbon buildup. worth doing it on the 7.3?? and if so what is the best way?

Sorry for the newb questions, just wanna start off right. again, im fairly new to the site so if there is like a FAQ section im missing let me know.

thanks for everything guys, this site rocks.
if your already going to do 05+ grill you might as well put the 05+ headlights too... you only have to cut the header panel a lil bit to get them in.... and the 05+ grill will also need to be cut on the bottom to make it fit unless you get a 05+ bumper....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.