7.3 ideas.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 ideas....

I have a 1999.5 f350 7.3 reg cab 2wd. Theres not many on the site with this combo so im looking for ideas as of where to go with it. Its current setup is afe intake, straight piped, DP tuner, and the van turbo. The options are endless, I dont do much towing with the vehicle its kind of just for fun some performance is the main goal. upcoming thoughts were injectors, hpop upgrade, manual trans or built auto, I just want to see what everyone else thinks.

I bought the truck as a POS it was a work truck, base model everything since then I have replaced the bumpers, grille, headlights, bed, rims, and all the performance upgrades. I/m looking for both performance and visual upgrades, any help is awesome!!!!

by the way guages are the very next upgrade so no need to mention them
Attached Thumbnails
7.3 ideas....-photo-2-.jpg   7.3 ideas....-100_0965.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 04:44 AM

Gauges if your headed in a performance direction is always a good idea, trans, boost, pyro, and High pressure oil are all good to monitor.

A simple, but labor intensive idea is to remove the intercooler and degrease it internally, get the collected oil in it out, and clean all the tubes out, maybe do the foil removal for looks and sound.

If you want more power I'd think about reinforcing the trans next, sucks cause its a little dough, but if you want to be romping on it and ripping up the tires, then enventually you'll find the limits of the 4r100 and rip it up.

The next item might be to do the bigger hpop, nothing wrong with haveing the hpop installed before you need it, but to put in stage 2 or 3 injectors and wait to put in the bigger pump, Yeah, that's not good.

If you get the HPOP done then I'd head for some bigger injectors, start at stage 2!!!! I have stage 1's and they're great and all, more power, but once you get em, you want more, and then your in the dilemma of spent 1400, want the 1600 stage 2's, can't sell your old injectors or it'll cost you 500+ for non return of the cores, costs you 3000 in the end to get stage 2's or 3's. You got the turbo, get the HPOP and get some stage 2's
Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How do you internally degrease the intercoooler?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneibling View Post
How do you internally degrease the intercoooler?
Maybe I did it in a bad way, but I poured Purple Power (cheapie Super Clean degreaser) in mine after it was flat on the bench. Left it overnight, next day I took a small aquarium pump and pumped out one hose outlet to the other forcing degreaser thru the intercooler. I emptied that and turned the IC on its side so one outlet was top and one was at the bottom vertically, put some rubber plumbing boots on and flooded it from bottom up, then pulled the boots off and let it dump, alot of oily crap came out, I flooded it like 6 times before it was coming out clean and I did it 2 more times for good measure. Blew it out with air and laid it at an angle on the bench to "drip dry" for a few hours, blew it out again and laid it at an opposite angle and did it again before re-installing it.

Be alot easier if I had a steamer to build heat and a little pressure in the IC, be done in under an hour cleaning it out, then you just have to get it dried out.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks, I'll have to do it when I get sometime because i'm sure that mine's got plenty of oily stuff in it after breathing in all that for 264k. Good thing for CCV mod to end the issue of oily intercooler boots.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Already cleaned out the intercooler and all the tubing removed the foil and painted them, I did this while I was replacing the water pump, but thanks for the ideas keep them coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.