Transmission Service Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
SJB SJB is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Service Question

I have a 2002 F250, and I just had a shop do a transmission flush on my truck this weekend. Total cost was about $120, and I think they just used standard tranny fluid, and I think added in some stuff called Lube Guard.

So I was talking to a co-worker who has a stock 2004 Powerstroke. I was talking to him about a tranny service and he was telling me his service is like $250 because his takes "special fluid and additives". He is basically saying his requires it, not that he just runs the expensive fluid.

I thought that my tranny and his were supposed to be pretty similar, but I could be wrong. So my question is, did my transmission not get sufficient service or is somebody feeding him a line of bull and really overcharging him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Well if he is getting a full 17-20 quarts of synthetic then that sounds correct for time and product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 AM
SJB SJB is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusted4eva View Post
Well if he is getting a full 17-20 quarts of synthetic then that sounds correct for time and product.
I understand that, but I don't think that is the case in this situation. This doesn't sound like a case where he just prefers or chooses to run the high $$$ stuff. He was saying his "requires special fluid" with special additives, and none of the local tranny shops will do it. So he "has" to take it to the dealer to have it done. Somehow, I don't think the dealer is really installing high dollar fluid like Amsoil or others. It just sounds a little odd to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
I understand that, but I don't think that is the case in this situation. This doesn't sound like a case where he just prefers or chooses to run the high $$$ stuff. He was saying his "requires special fluid" with special additives, and none of the local tranny shops will do it. So he "has" to take it to the dealer to have it done. Somehow, I don't think the dealer is really installing high dollar fluid like Amsoil or others. It just sounds a little odd to me.
He doesn't need special fluid. It's all Ford Mercon if he is going to the dealer. So he is pulling your leg big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena, TX
Posts: 6,512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
He has a different trans than you. His does technically take the expensive fluid but I know of several people running regular ATF and it works just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:52 AM
SJB SJB is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusted4eva View Post
He doesn't need special fluid. It's all Ford Mercon if he is going to the dealer. So he is pulling your leg big time.
He seriously "believes" his takes special fluid. He isn't pulling my leg. Someone is pulling his, and apparently he believes it. I didn't believe that there was really anything different required between our two trannies. So if he wants to go and pay $250 for probably the same service that I paid $120, then more power to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 AM
SJB SJB is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
He has a different trans than you. His does technically take the expensive fluid but I know of several people running regular ATF and it works just fine.
What fluid does his require? Does it just recommend the synthetic of the same type of fluid that mine recommends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena, TX
Posts: 6,512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
He seriously "believes" his takes special fluid. He isn't pulling my leg. Someone is pulling his, and apparently he believes it. I didn't believe that there was really anything different required between our two trannies. So if he wants to go and pay $250 for probably the same service that I paid $120, then more power to him.
Look in his service manual and look in yours. They technically require 2 different fluids. You have a 4r100 and he has a 5r110
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena, TX
Posts: 6,512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
Look in his service manual and look in yours. They technically require 2 different fluids. You have a 4r100 and he has a 5r110
I think it's mercon sp but I don't remember for sure and when I was looking for it, it was a dealer only item
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 AM
SJB SJB is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
I think it's mercon sp but I don't remember for sure and when I was looking for it, it was a dealer only item
Thanks for the info. I was just curious. I didn't realize that our trannies were different. I thought they were still the same 4R100. So I was just wondering if my tranny service was done wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors