comparing two trucks and towing 2000 SD vrs 2008 Dmax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
comparing two trucks and towing 2000 SD vrs 2008 Dmax

I just got my 2000 SD crew cab it was in my price range and is a nice truck. The only other experience towing with a diesel is my dads 08 Duramax. When I towed my camper after I bought it in Kentucky back to Michigan the dmax has what seemed limitless power. When I would appoach a hill coming up I-75 with the cruise set on 70mph the turbo would spool a little bit and the truck would not even down shift out of overdrive. My camper only weighs like 5600lbs. I got to tow my camper from the storage place the other day to my home only about 15 miles and I was not to impressed with the power. I got a dialbo tuner set on the 40hp tow setting. (gauges are on the way so I can see whats going on) I am going to get some tunes after the guages are installed. This 2000 SD pulls way better than my old 5.4L half ton but am I asking to much of this 10 yr old truck to perform like a truck that is 8 years newer (dads dmax is stock).

Thanks for the input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

an 08 Dmax will stomp a 7.3 on power any day. so should a 6.7 cummins and a 6.4 Ford. IMO

reason: newer technology.

you can mod your 7.3 though. i hear most often people say, ditch the tuner with canned tunes and get a chip. go for guages, exhaust, intake, chip, injectors, and as far as you see fit. that list right there will make a differce. dump that and a turbo ino the truck (and have the chip reflashed) and youll probably be much happier. youll probabyl want a tranny upgrade too. your truck is up to it, but but probably needs a little $$. in either case, all that twice over is still less expensive than an 08 anything...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess my question should be can I do some upgrades like air intake 4" exhaust custom tunes to get it closer to the dmax power for towing. I know he also has the 6speed auto that helps a ton too.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you are comparing a truck with 235hp to a truck with 350 hp...... try pulling with a non turbo idi... to get comparable power, you are going to have to spend some money. the new 6.7 ps puts out 390hp, so is the new dmax! both are have north of 750 ftlbs of torque.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
These 7.3's have a bunch of untapped power. Need some aftermarket items to wake 'em up! Tuner, exhaust and intake should make a noticeable difference.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM

Intake,exhaust and a chip and it will be close in towing power to the Dmax, but not as quick, these big cube engines don't like to rev up fast.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think the 6 speed trans has alot to do with it too. His truck always seems to be in the right rpm. I will be doing the exhaust custom tunes after I install my gauges. I was wondering what power the stock dmax puts to the ground? Its like 325hp and 650ft tq from what I can recall at the engine.

Whats the next step after basic stuff like custom tunes, air intake, exhaust, would injectors be next like stage ones?

Thanks again
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM

without looking it up i think an 08 puts out 375 and 680 stock?

yes, injectors. then have your chip reburned to account for the new injectors. at that point start looking at your tranny (if auto) before moving forward.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
without looking it up i think an 08 puts out 375 and 680 stock?

yes, injectors. then have your chip reburned to account for the new injectors. at that point start looking at your tranny (if auto) before moving forward.
its 365/660 and wouldnt those numbers be to the crank?? if so... then your around 330rwhp which is what a properly tuned 7.3 makes.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL7.3 View Post
its 365/660 and wouldnt those numbers be to the crank?? if so... then your around 330rwhp which is what a properly tuned 7.3 makes.
Ya but can I tow in the 330rwhp setting. The best tow tune that I saw was a PHP 80 hp light tow up to 7500lbs which would work good for me since my camper is only 5800-6500 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.