Purchase a 6.0 or 7.3 ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Purchase a 6.0 or 7.3 ??

Hello all...I'm a newb to diesels but have been doing my research. I'm looking for a vehicle to pull my car and my ski boat. I've always wanted a Ford and def a powerstroke, so this is def the truck for me. However...Do I go with the 6.0 or 7.3? Whichever truck I get i'm looking to spend 18-23k and assume i'll get one with 90,000 miles give or take. I'm aware that the 7.3 is a solid motor, so If I could do I find one with lower miles do I get that? What negatives are there to look out for? Or do I buy a 06-07 6.0 and drop a few thousand extra to get the headgaskets redone with ARPs and get the EGR delete? Whatever truck I get I plan on doing a 4" or 5" exhaust and a tuner with with middle of the road tunes (nothing too crazy..but something a little extra).

Thanks for any help.

JJT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Well either choice will be a good choice. Just know that when you purchase a 6.0 you will have to address the issues concerning the egr and headgasket/studs. After that with proper supporting mods ex. gauges, exhaust, good tuner, you will make plenty of power.

The 7.3 is just a good ole truck. Not many problems, it does have a few, being the cps, pmr's.... but it takes a lot of money to get them to run with the 6.0s

I believe the 6.0 tend to get a little better fuel economy. Thats what I have experienced.

Good luck with your choice and Welcome to the .Org!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 AM
addicted to diesel

one it comes down to personal prefference me i prefer the 7.3 they are pretty well bullet proof as long as they havent had the sh*t beat out of them and have had regular manteniance. if your just gonna do the basics mod wise the 6.0 with the prevenetive mod you were saying would be fine to it then would come down to the creature comforts. so in the end it would probably be what you find that is to your liking.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Emergency Services

For that kind of money you could get a fairly new 6.0. I'm biased towards the 7.3 but seeing as how I've never been in a 6.0 i can't really comment. All i can say is I'm at 108,xxx miles and not a single problem minus a few bad batteries.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its my understanding that the 6.0 has a better trans also? I would def prefer a newer truck, but I guess what Im looking for is the truck with the least amount of problems. I just wanna put an exhaust and tuner on it and drive the thing daily without having to worry about something breaking all the time. Is there anything besides HG/Studs & EGR that is problematic with the 6.0? I'm not necessarily looking to make any type of crazy power / off road / track it / etc. Just something a little extra to make it " my own ".
Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could get a low mileage 7.3 and a built trans within your price range
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 AM
names liz <3 Camoprincess

Send a message via AIM to famousamos0901
7.3 will last you a lifetime if you keep up on maintenance, and with what you sound like doing, id go with the 7.3, although the 6.0 are nice, and quick.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to carnival owner mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
(nothing too crazy..but something a little extra).

JJT
We all say started off with this in mind but .............. you'll see Any way I like the 7.3 but for the money you have to spend you could get a pretty nice 6.0. Once you get the bugs worked out of that motor they're capable of more than the 7.3 imho.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What other problems are there with the 6.0? I already know about the head bolts & EGR. What else am I missing in order to make the 6.0 hassle/problem free??
Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Some 6.0's tend to get bedplate leaks. Oil leak at the bottom of the block and the engine needs to be pulled to fix that. But out of the 6 6.0's we've had only 1 has had that leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.