Got in DEEP water, what to check - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got in DEEP water, what to check

Went out to jones swamp to be the tow truck today. I fell into some ruts that swallowed my hole front end and I kept goin and the rear end got stuck in it. The water was up to my Fx4 sticker. My 4wd quit working at this point and I was stuck. Had a decently build 4runner at least get my exhaust out but then he got stuck. Of course I kept the truck running. Had another powerstroke come pull me out no problem, but then my smart idea to turn around on the trail in wet sand with no 4wd got me stuck sideways on a trail. Broke my 15k strap a bunch of times and remembered the howzer I have in my bed, got me turned around and headed out of there. While my truck was in there, my gas gauge went up 1.4 tank which freaked me out bad because I thought I was filling it up with water, which ended up to be just the angle of the truck. I did have some oil (diesel)? floating around the puddle after. My oilpan has a few separations which make me wonder. They have always been there, just wondering if any damage could be done, since the weep hole is right there too. Thats my main concern. Went and parked a truck and hopped in the 4 runner and followed the most badass OBS I have ever seen. It was all stock except the stack cut thru the hood, it had bald tires but it didnt stop one time back in this swamp. I dont know how he kept it from getting stuck. Anyways what should I check over in my truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM

I wouldn't start it. Drain the oil & get it analyzed. See how much water is in it. Also open up the intake & look for water. If so, pop off intercooler pipes, dry it out. These guys on here will help you out. Good luck. We don't have swamps here.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM

I cant imaagine theres really anything to worry about considering the motor. The only thing that I would consider is the diff. fluid. We have built numerous mud trucks and it still amazes me what can make its way into your gearing.....If nothing else heres a bump
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGJ View Post
I wouldn't start it. Drain the oil & get it analyzed. See how much water is in it. Also open up the intake & look for water. If so, pop off intercooler pipes, dry it out. These guys on here will help you out. Good luck. We don't have swamps here.
do you think water could have gotten in the oil? As for the I/C piping and intake if both are designed to suck air while moving so for sitting in mud it shouldnt really be able to suck anything in right? Or am I thinkin wrong?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM

I drove it 30 miles home, everything was sounding, running and feeling fine.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Unless you have a hole in your oil pan then you should be fine, but if you had a hole then you would have lost all your oil anyways. The differential is what I would worry about if you were up to the fx4 sticker then you probably had the diferential vent tube submerged. As long as the cap on the tube worked right it should be fine. I used to go through some deep stuff and never had any problems but maybe somebody else knows better than me
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
definitely check your gear oil.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylev90 View Post
do you think water could have gotten in the oil? As for the I/C piping and intake if both are designed to suck air while moving so for sitting in mud it shouldnt really be able to suck anything in right? Or am I thinkin wrong?
When I read that it swallowed your whole front end, & water up to your FX4 stickers, I thought you would have sucked it in through your air cleaner. Didn't know you drove it home. Prolly OK.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 AM

The hole dropped the front end down and then the front end came up on the other side and my rear wheels fell in in the hole truck wasnt underwater like that thank god
Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 AM

I put the whole front of my truck in a deep hole once - swallowed the entire front end, had muddy water rolling over my hood - but somehow didnt have water in the intake either. Drove home fine.

Good luck to you. Any idea why you lost 4wd? What if you manually locked the front end? Were you relying on Auto on the hubs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.