Swapping '08 F550 4x4 front suspenion into an '02 F550 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Swapping '08 F550 4x4 front suspenion into an '02 F550

I'm looking at swapping a Dana Super 60 front axle from an '08 F550 into an '02 F550. Looking for anyone here that maybe has already done this and can give me a heads up on what to expect? So the '02 truck currently has a standard Dana 60, leaf spring suspension, and the large 8 lug pattern (225mm?) 19.5 wheels. The new axle has the 10 lug wheel pattern and is set up to use coil springs and radius arms. I read a magazine article a while ago about doing this in an F250 or 350 and they used some aftermarket 4 link arms and brackets to locate the axle from what I remember.............Fabtech, Pro Comp, or one of those companies I think? Anyone know if the front frame rails on the '02 will accept all the '05 and newer brackets or if it's all different and lots of fabrication will be required? Does the '05 and newer stuff use a panhard bar for side to side centering? The truck already has a rear air suspension so I'm figuring on using a Kelderman (or comparable) air bag front spring set up in place of the '05 and newer coil springs. Anyone know if the outer 8 lug wheel adapter hubs from the '02 will bolt on in place of the '08 10 lug hubs? How about steering linkage? I'm assuming that the '05 and newer steering linkage and tie rods are all longer to account for the axles wider track width. Anyone know if those factory steering parts will bolt into the '02 truck? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Thanks, Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i think solid front axles are way better but whatever you wanna do. i'm sure it could be done.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
i think solid front axles are way better but whatever you wanna do. i'm sure it could be done.
Both systems use a Dana 60 solid front axle. Ford started using a coil spring and radius arm suspension system with the Dana "Super" 60 solid axle in 2005 instead of the standard Dana 60 solid axle with leaf springs on the 2004 and older trucks.

Thanks, Pat
Old 04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

ah gotcha thanx for clarifying. its cool technology these days. i bet it gives a much nicer ride eh?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
ah gotcha thanx for clarifying. its cool technology these days. i bet it gives a much nicer ride eh?
I haven't spent a lot of time in any newer trucks with the coils but my impression is that it rides a lot better. It's the same axle and front suspension that the '08 and newer 450 pickups use. In addition the "super" 60 has larger and stronger components and is also wider so the turning radius is much better.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

nice, i hate the turning radius on these things sometimes. ugh.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not only ride better, but better bearings, and a larger turning radius
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
not only ride better, but better bearings, and a larger turning radius
You mean smaller right?

Those F 450/550s turn like ****ing minis compared to these leaf spring front end trucks.

And to the OP, my best suggestion would be to give a call to a few different companys. See if they have any information.

That thing should be pretty bad once you are done with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Yep... that is what I meant. Thanks for pointing that out. It was supposed to be "better" turning radius...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.