burning tranny fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
burning tranny fluid

i was just sitting down with a buddy of mine who is a ford tech and he has been burning strait used tranny fluid in his 97 7.3l and hasnt had a single problem. so thats got me thinking bc i have an abundance of tranny fluid i can get for free. so i was wondering if anyone has run into a problem with this or has done it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
filter it and run it with a lil diesel.. good to go.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 PM

lots of guys do this or veggie oil, do a search lots of talks about it
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

depends on the climate your in if its in a hotter climate like southern texas or arizona you would probably be ok to run a 75atf-25diesel mix in a colder climate you dont want to do this because of the viscosity of the fluids in a colder climate even like west virginia you probably dont want to do this unless its the summer time because this will gum up your lines so to be safe for the next month or two depending on where you live don't mix more than a 55diesel 45atf in your tank personally i would just stick to the diesel till mid may
fred
Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
filter it and run it with a lil diesel.. good to go.
Exactly how do you filter it? do you do that outside the truck with a pressurized system?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain1Man View Post
depends on the climate your in if its in a hotter climate like southern texas or arizona you would probably be ok to run a 75atf-25diesel mix in a colder climate you dont want to do this because of the viscosity of the fluids in a colder climate even like west virginia you probably dont want to do this unless its the summer time because this will gum up your lines so to be safe for the next month or two depending on where you live don't mix more than a 55diesel 45atf in your tank personally i would just stick to the diesel till mid may
fred
yeah i live up in northern pa and my buddys from southern pa he said definalty only do it in the warmer months. heres the next question why bother mixing it with diesel fuel b/c arent they gonna stay seperated in the tank anyways?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejohn View Post
yeah i live up in northern pa and my buddys from southern pa he said definalty only do it in the warmer months. heres the next question why bother mixing it with diesel fuel b/c arent they gonna stay seperated in the tank anyways?
I have just discovered this problem myself. I don't think it will stay separated in the tank simply because your driving around and the natural mixing that occurs in the tank from that. As far as I know I'm only having this problem in my bulk tanks. I've been running it for a little over 5 k miles now
Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

because diesel is a petroleum based product and so is atf usually you wont have a problem unless it gets cold out then the atf/fuel mix will gell up so living in norther pa you dont want to do this except for maybe 2 or 3 moths out of the year and during the supercold months mix the diesel with a little of kerosene say 25kerosene 75diesel mix this will prevent your fuel from gelling up in the cold winter months for the most part hope this helps.
fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.