Hard lope on cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard lope on cold start

Whenever dad lets his 01 (in sig) set over night then goes to start it the next day, it will lope really hard a few times then run smoothly. It will only do it the first time it is started that day. During winter it would lope extremely hard around 8 times before smoothing out and it was plugged in pretty much whenever it was not running. Today was nearly 80* outside and when he started it, it still loped 3 times then ran fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM

Any ideas guys? could this be something ICP or IPR related?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be your injectors are not in sink until it warms up
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM

Usually this lope is because of this:
"Ok here goes. Mine does it too. When it's cold (depends on the temp for each truck, mine is a wimp so 35-40 and down is hard), the oil is cold, so thick, so doesn't flow fast at all. Like cold molasses. But when you plug in the block heater, it does just that: heats the block. Which contains oil and coolant as well as the cylinders so everything flows nicely and combusts nicely too.
Well on each head there is a high pressure oil rail that feeds the injectors. The rail is only so big so cold oil can only flow down to the end so fast. AND it's a dead head rail, just an end, no loop. Oil enters near the front of the cylinders (#2 on the driver side) from the HPOP and gets pushed to the back (#8). Well in the firing order, #8 is RIGHT AFTER #6. So once 6 fires, it depletes what oil there is in the general area. Since the oil is cold, thick, slow, the HPOP can't push enough oil ALL THE WAY to the back of the rail to the 8 injector fast enough before that one fires, so it gets an incomplete injection. Just a normal engineering hiccup right and just has to be that way right? No.
You can either get some synthetic, an oil with a lower weight for the winter, or both. OR you can get a HPO Xover hose. Just bridges the two oil rails at the #3 to #6 cylinder area. So once #6 fires with that thing installed, you have oil coming from the HPOP AND the passenger oil rail to help replenish the rail before #8 fires. Smooths the idle, ESPECIALLY in cold starts. Makes it quieter. Keeps the RPMs very very steady. Had it on a dyno pre and post HPO Xover install. Pre install the RPMs on the comp were varying by about 50 or so. Post instal, didn't move at all. Ok, maybe 2-3."

I just wrote that as a generic post so it's got different stuff on there but you get the gist of it.
Not sure why it would still do it at 80 though
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 AM

Mine does it when it's cold also, I just let it smooth out an warm up a bit before moving......Fred
Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like a injector is bleeding down.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:49 AM

There is a TSB on this. It said something to the affect that if you have this issue try a lower viscosity oil. I was using straight 40 when it would happen to me and I switched to 15-40 and it went away.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a TSB?

He's been running John Deere Plus 50 15w40 since he got it which was a little over a year ago and it didn't begin doing this till last fall.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM

TSB= technical service bulletin

It was a fairly common problem and that was fords fix
Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Mine lopes bad for about 10 minutes when its cold and then goes away. I always wait till it stops to drive it beause it is completely undrivable when it is loping. Whats the deal with that? Its annoying, imbarassing, and a real pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.