2wd to 4wd conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2wd to 4wd conversion

What would it take to convert a 6-speed 2wd into a 6-speed 4wd? If one could find a complete front axle, suspension, steering parts, transfercase, and drive shafts what what else would there be. Would the 2wd trans. convert over to 4wd easily? What about how to engage the transfer case. Can you hook the factory electronic switch up for the transfer case. I should add this is for a F450 super duty. Has anyone done this. What would I need to watch for if it can be done. How much will this hurt fuel mileage. I know it is alot of questions. But I would really like to know. I am probably forgetting something so if you can add something I would really like to know what it would take. This truck is low miled and dont want to have to look for another truck. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since it's a F450 you've got a 2wd straight axle already. Just need a 4wd axle and I'de get the manual transfercase (4wd stick on the floor). As for the tranny I would see if you can put the 4wd shaft/parts in the 2wd case. Shorten the rear driveshaft and I think thats it. The gauge clusters are already setup for 4wd so the wiring for the indicator lights might be thier already.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM

it can definately be done.. as for t case i would get a manual shift one for sure always works.. not sure if the trans will bolt up to it (what trans is it) i would say since it is a factory dead axle i should bolt right up.. sorry i dont have better info for you but this should not be hard.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, I thought it should be pretty straight forward for the most part. Why would you guys go with the manual transfer case. Are the elctronic ones more prone to not working. I was only thinking of electronic because I like the touch and go and thats one less thing I have to worry about on the floor. As far as the trans all I know it is a 6-speed (manual of course). Do they have different six speeds in these trucks. It is a 2000 year model. Will this affect the fuel mileage very much.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Manual T-Cases were the only thing you can get in the F450 and F550's of that time. You couldn't get an electronic one until the 08 model years. The manual one is what it is, manual. So no electronics and wiring mess. Very simple pull the lever and go plus the electric ones can get stuck because of brake switches breaking and you can't get it out of 4wd low. And there are 2wd ZF6's and 4wd ZF6's.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok I just thought maybe the wiring harness was the same for the most part as a f350. If thats what it is then no big deal I will just have it on the floor. So then I would have to change the transmission as well, is that right? I was hoping there was a way around that.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was just thinking. Will I have to add a leveling kit as well.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 AM

well a leveling kit would be a add a leaf or a whole new leaf spring possibly shackles .
im thinking the only dif between 3-5 are going to be gear ratios and spring tension

i know my 06 had alot of issues with the electronic 4wd vacume pump had to pop the hood and smack it 1:3 times..

i would find a truck with a smashed rear end and take everything from the shackles
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

can you convert the 2wd trans to work with the transfer case or do I need to find and replace with one from a 4wd
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
can you convert the 2wd trans to work with the transfer case or do I need to find and replace with one from a 4wd
I've been told you have to get a new tranny too.. Mine's a stick shift too so this caught my attention real fast... lol (But mine are coil up-front.. Oh welllll)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.