MPG Question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG Question.

I recently purchased a 2002 F350 Lariat. It has 19K miles on it. The truck had a Bullydog chip in it. 315's for tires. I changed the Air cleaner,Fuel filter and removed the chip. Also downsized the tires to the stock size.

I know that the overhead computers are not always accurate. But, with everything as I bought it, The computer showed an average of 12-13 MPG. After doing the above mentioned things I anticipating that average to climb a bit. Instead it has seemed to drop below 11MPG. I was wondering if changing the fuel filter would cause anything like this. I do smell raw diesel mostly after I run it for a bit. I can't see any sign of leaking. I did spill a little fuel while changing the filter. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well i would look for a diesel leak somewhere, i jsut recently had my water sensor on the fuel canister leak, so i replaced it for 40 dollars. Also it depends on the truck, do u hav an auto tranny, r u treatin ur fuel, how do u run it, etc. My truck is a 5 spd, and i run it a little bit, and with winter fuel and treatment, i get about 13 mpg. Also if u haul anything around or have anything heavy, that will decrease it.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Dang Big Jake, way to score that truck. I thought I had the lowest mile o2 truck around. Got any pics?? I dont get the mileage these guys brag about either. If you search it you will find lots of good ideas. I read about the exhaust back pressure tube coroding & filling up with soot, I took mine apart & cleaned it, it had junk in there but wasn't completely blocked. Also read that the fuel filter bowl will leak out the drain tube. They say not to drain it too much or the orings will certainly fail. I put a rubber hose on the metal tube underneath the engine & taped a water bottle to it to see if it was leaking there. Not a drop.
Guys on here know a ton more about the 7.3 than me, sorry.
Here's a pic of my DIY intake:

Last edited by BGJ; 03-28-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:36 PM

you probably lost those 1 or 2 mpg because you took the chip off... as for better mileage, DIY intake... there are threads on here on how to it in the 7.3 TECH FILES link. open up the exhaust with either larger down-pipe or straight pipe it. most 02's didn't have cats so you don't to worry about that. put your chip back on and you should see anywhere from 3-6 mpg with all those upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.