installing tru cool. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
installing tru cool.

well i just spent some of my tax refund.. got my trailer brake controller(easy install just plug it in durrr) and my tru cool tranny cooler on the way.. what exactllyy do I need to remove to install this cooler?? i'll have help but figured i'd ask guys who have installed one. And yeah i have a huge cattle guard/ bull guard whatever you want to call it on the front of my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had to remove the brush guard and the grill to get to it. Removal of the plastic cover at the bottom of the radiator would make the job a lot easier.

Make sure you use good teflon tape on all threads.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Which one did you get.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=205

that one andyeahh i know a 6.0 cooler is best but they arent as easy to find muchless cheap... and im not loaded..so this will definitely help.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just installed that same one last night. All I did was take off the front grill 4 screws and 4 clips... There is 2 long plastic supports... I drilled to small holes in the middle all the way on the top of the supports to hold the top of the transmission cooler on. I then put the 2 metal hole tab things (one on each bottom bracket on the trans cooler). I then lined them up to the support thing and drilled two more holes... Mounted the whole thing up and just unhooked the stock lines going into the stock trans cooler. One of the lines had a rubber hose so I just tapped into that one and then used the fittings provided for the other.

It came with instructions but I lost them. I really liked the way I mounted mine and the way that it is off and away from anything warm really makes me feel good about getting some low temperatures in my transmission.

Took about 30-45 minutes.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

nice thanx for the info. looks like i'll have to take my massively heavy guard off then the grill... lol 2 hour job now.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Gotta have a Magnefine filter in front of that, IMHO. Leaving the stocker in as well?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninF350 View Post
Gotta have a Magnefine filter in front of that, IMHO. Leaving the stocker in as well?
yes you run it inline with the stock one, so its a 28k plus a 40k pretty nice combo.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I wouldn't run it in series with the stock cooler, I would replace the stock one with the TCM, which is nothing more than the V10 cooler. The V10 cooler was the mod to do before the 6.0's arrived, and they usually will solve the heating issue. Throw that filter in the trash as well. I know that Ford uses them on their rebuilds but I have read of way to many causing restriction. I have a few of them laying around here cuz I won't install them. If you still go in series you better do a flow check when your done, min is 1 quart every 30 sec with 1 quart every 15 sec being prefered. For the install, super easy, remove upper rubber cover and the lower, just held in place with plastic push pins, then pop the grill loose, going in from the front you can remove all four screws that hold it in. I will take the left AC condensor mounting bracket loose, this will allow you to flex the condensor to get the old out and new in. Put a towel over the top of it or your arms will look like you were in a cat fight. Mount new cooler, you can mount it anyway you want, the easiest way is getting some of the extra long zip ties. Or you can pick up a V10 cooler which is the same as the TCM but will have the mounting fins already in place. Either way mount and run your plumbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.