Transmission temp sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission temp sensor

I am installing my new guages and I am not sure where to put the transmission temp sensor on a 4R100. Is there a hole for an extra guage or do I have to drill into the pan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

there is a service port i bleive on the right hand side just a little in front of center....there will be a small plug there for manually checking line pressure......most senders are designed to screw right in there......that is a more accurate reading also than the pan....as different parts of the pan can very a little on temp.....Marc
Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info Marc. I installed the guage and took the truck for a ride, the guage never moved. What is a normal operating temp for the tranny when not pulling. I'm not sure if something is wrong or if the tranny isn't getting hot enough to show on the guage.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned

your tranny should be at over 100 degrees within a few miles of driving....and should reach 150 or so within 5-10 miles on a warm day.....and within the first 15-20 miles on a cooler day......sounds to me like there may be a guage or sender problem..........when you pulled that plug...did trans fluid come out...you should have had a little come out since it is a port right into the trans fluid....just a though....other than that...either somethin isnt hooked up right or you have a bad gauge or sender.......Marc
Old 04-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Marc,
I think the problem is in the grounding of the sensor to the tranny. The sensor completes it's circuit by getting a ground through the threads in the transmission. I pulled the sensor out (there is fluid coming out) I heated it up with a lighter and touched it to the pan and it did work but, sometimes I had to move it around to get a good ground. I cleaned the threads and reinstalled, haven't tested yet but it should work now. Thanks for the info.
Nate
Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Banned

let us know if that fixed it nate....there is a sealer on that plug i beleave and if there was some left in the threads in the trans case that would explain it.......Marc
Old 04-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does take a while for the guage to read. I put mine in the side of the trans also, and it takes a good 10-15 miles of driving on the HWY for the guage to read just above 100 deg. After about 20-25 min. it gets to just under 150 deg. and that's where it stays if I'm not towing. Just means that your trans. is working well and not building alot of heat. There really isn't alot of friction in the trans. when you are driving down the road. The torque converter is locked, so it's not slipping causing heat, the clutches and bands should be holding not causing heat. Other than the bearings and pump. Not much heat is being built when cruising not towing. When you are towing, the torque converter stays unlocked much longer, the epc commands higher pressures, so heat builds faster.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted00
It does take a while for the guage to read. I put mine in the side of the trans also, and it takes a good 10-15 miles of driving on the HWY for the guage to read just above 100 deg. After about 20-25 min. it gets to just under 150 deg. and that's where it stays if I'm not towing. Just means that your trans. is working well and not building alot of heat. There really isn't alot of friction in the trans. when you are driving down the road. The torque converter is locked, so it's not slipping causing heat, the clutches and bands should be holding not causing heat. Other than the bearings and pump. Not much heat is being built when cruising not towing. When you are towing, the torque converter stays unlocked much longer, the epc commands higher pressures, so heat builds faster.
I just got back from pulling an 8,750lbs travel trailer through the mountains in WV (Home) and the highest trans temp I seen using my Predator tuner was 142 degrees. I'm assuming that is pretty good I figured it would run much hotter than that
Old 06-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
there is a service port i bleive on the right hand side just a little in front of center....there will be a small plug there for manually checking line pressure......most senders are designed to screw right in there......that is a more accurate reading also than the pan....as different parts of the pan can very a little on temp.....Marc
I was unable to locate this port, any help would be appreciated. Thanks JS.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned

i cant remember if the e4od has it on the right or the left, but you will see a small plug, which screws in horazontal to the ground. it will be just above the lip where the pan meets the case........also, look at this link, i beleave it has a picture.......Marc

http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=1588
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.