HPOP fill on oil change - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post
might want to just take a look around this site...this guy will answer most any question you have!

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
That dude is a IDIOT!!! Anyone that actually recommends the K&N for a PSD is a IDIOT, through and through. This HPOP oil change is the biggest joke to hit the world wide web in a long time. I bet your parents bought Pet Rocks in the 70's didn't they? If you would take the time to learn how the oil system works you would never post that you are changing your HPOP oil!!
Funny I have seen plenty of 7.3's over 500K and one that will be over 900K in the next month and guess what?? They never changed their HPOP oil!! Because they understand it is being replaced every few minutes anyway!! As far as the heads go, you can't change that oil, that is why they brought it up!
I have done this one to many times before. Do what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!

NCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It literally takes me no more time to do it since I can suck it out while the oil is draining out the pan. so why not go ahead and get as much of the old oil out as possible............. Can't see where it would hurt and since it only has to be changed for me like twice a year I will continue to do it.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Wait until you get air trapped in there and see how much fun it is to get it started when you're done!!! Like I said if it makes you feel good, who am I to say it is a waste of time, lol!!! Certainly not me!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Wait until you get air trapped in there and see how much fun it is to get it started when you're done!!! Like I said if it makes you feel good, who am I to say it is a waste of time, lol!!! Certainly not me!!!
We just went through that with a friends truck. Somebody told him he needs to change it so he sucked it all out. anf filled it back up. Somewhere in the process it got air in the system. 6 hours and a new starter later the truck is running again. Huge PITA
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM

We just went through that with a friends truck. Somebody told him he needs to change it so he sucked it all out. anf filled it back up. Somewhere in the process it got air in the system. 6 hours and a new starter later the truck is running again. Huge PITA[/QUOTE]

Good to know, this is the first REAL negative thing I've read about doing this.
Thanks for the post.
BGJ
Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Same here, you would think that when you fill it back up with new oil it would push out any air in there. something just doesn't sound right...
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM

I'm with ya, how many times have you sucked it out & refilled it? I know on dirt bike radiators, you fill through the cap on the right one & there is a screw that you take out on the left one so you get all of the air out. I can see where not having a second hole on the HPOP for air to escape you might have an air lock issue. Most of the guys here are very helpful, some enjoy bashing a bit though.
Take car, I appreciate all of your posts.
BGJ
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I am not BSing ya!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
That dude is a IDIOT!!! Anyone that actually recommends the K&N for a PSD is a IDIOT, through and through. This HPOP oil change is the biggest joke to hit the world wide web in a long time. I bet your parents bought Pet Rocks in the 70's didn't they? If you would take the time to learn how the oil system works you would never post that you are changing your HPOP oil!!
Funny I have seen plenty of 7.3's over 500K and one that will be over 900K in the next month and guess what?? They never changed their HPOP oil!! Because they understand it is being replaced every few minutes anyway!! As far as the heads go, you can't change that oil, that is why they brought it up!
I have done this one to many times before. Do what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!

NCH

isn't the intention of doing an "oil change" to take out all the dirty old oil???
thats what we were taught in Automotive Repair.
Also i have the Ford manual in front of me, its an older one updated in 97 for the 7.3 powerstroke motor's , its right from ford, i got it from a mechanic who works there, and it recommends the HPOP res should be drained at time of oil change and replaced with new oil for risk of contamination of the new oil.....
so thats what Ford tells there Techs. i think i'll do what the experts say
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Emergency Services

You can pour oil into either hole on top of the reservoir, and they both go to the same place. You really can't get an air bubble into it. You really don't even need to fill the reservoir before you try to start the truck if you have drained it. I do, because usually when I have drained it, it is because I have pulled the high pressure pump, injectors, drained the rails, etc. It makes sense to fill it back up to make the start up quicker.

I've done it without filling first. The truck takes about 30-40 seconds of cranking before it will re-prime the oil rails.

For a truck that is just getting a reservoir oil change, there should be absolutely no problem just cranking it with dry reservoir. The low pressure pump has such a massive volume that it will fill the reservoir before the high pressure pump even starves for oil.

If you don't believe me, start the truck without the fill plug in the reservoir, and see the oil fountain. It will be huge. It will fill the reservoir in a second or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.