My Idea to have 3 fuel tanks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My Idea to have 3 fuel tanks

ok guys i've been brain storming and i think this is what im going to do

I do a lot of long road trips and i hate having to stop all the time and fuel up.I was thinking of putting a tank in the bed but its only 6 ft and it is already packed full of chit when i travel so i was maybe going to get a topper and get a 100 gal tank and put it in the bed and just stack up my gear.Well toppers are expensive and they dont really look all that great so.... Now my latest and greatest brain fart is to put another 29 gal tank on the passenger side and put a 44 gal excursion tank in place of the spare tire. In order to put a tank on the other side i think ill just have to shorten my exhaust and come out under the cab or maybe reroute it towards the center and come out in the rear somewhere. The downside of coming out under the cab ill have to invest in a better sound system because it'll be loud.
Now this is where it gets complicated i want to be able to run bio in one tank or diesel in the others.So i need a solinoid that will return back to the tank it is taking fuel from so i dont contaminate my other tanks.Where can i get one it will have to have 6 ports right and will i be able to read how full the tank that i have selected is.Also will the stock fuel pump pull bio or do i have to get another pump set up to run all of this.
Ok now for the filling up part of this i would like to come out of the side just like the stock filler neck that way when i have to fill up i wont have to unload my truck and maybe if i dont have access to bio and i just want to run clear in all of the tanks i would like to link all of the tanks together so i would just have to flip a switch and fill all 3 tanks off of one neck instead of having to run around to 3 different filler necks like a pit crew just to fill up!

Has anybody hooked up a aux tank off of the stock pump and returned back to the aux tank and what all did you have to do im trying to fiqure out how hard it will be to get all of this rigged up and if you guys think it is at all possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would not waste me time with those switch valves and Bio will eat them anyway. I would do like us VO guys do and feed fuel from tank2 into the other side of the fuel rail and put check valves on the diesel feed lines. the stock fuel system on the PSD is dead headed. once the fuel passes through the filter it has no place to go other then out the injectors

you will need another pump, filter and something to regulate the pressure. Fass is the pump of choice. Heck if you are doing all this why not just finish it up and convert to SVO since you are already making bio. Much easier and the time savings will be worth the money spent for sure!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Well i havent started or purchased anything to make bio yet im just thinking about it right now and i would like to get my truck all set up the way i want it before i look into making it you say to use svo ill look into that. could you explain more to me on how you are feeding fuel to the other side of the fuel rail and how it works.do i just put check valves on both sides and that way when i run diesel it will stop at the check valve where the bio or svo would feed into the rail and vice versa for when i run bio.....and could i use another stock fuel pump to run tank2 or do i have to use a Fass pump
Old 03-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Here is how I did mine
http://www.biodveggie.com/tiny-VOconvert.pdf

there are many ways to do this. some ways can work for a while and some ways WILL work for a long time. The FASS is the best way to go but it will cost you. the stock pump can move oil but it wont be happy about it and it will not last long. A FASS will pump cold oil all day every day for a long time and it will be happy doing it.

If you want to get into the VO world, get a CF too. get into the alt fuel section and read, read,read! VO is more then a thought, its more like a way of life!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 AM

tiny vo conversion

Hey thanks man thats alot of good info i've read it twice so far it gives me a really good view on what all i need to do.
Thanks again kyler
Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM

k yea. but since you do long haul trips..what are you going to do when you get a flat? only to remember that you replaced your spare with a 44gal tank.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM

but wont you still have to stop to use the bathroom? lol
Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM

have you done the harpoon mod on your main tank yet? this will add about 100-150 miles per tank because it allows you to fill to the top!! I did this on mine and i go 130 miles before the needle leaves the full mark! I can drive almost 500 miles on one tank. I am more than happy to stop by then as my a$$ is tired of sitting by then!!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM

The way i look at it a spare tire takes up way less room in the bed of the truck then a bigg ol tank.

No i havent done the harpoon mod but im planning on it down the road when i get all of the tank/tanks in.I purchased a excursion tank today with the sending unit and all the brackets so for now i will just put that in and maybe ill just forget about putting one on the other side.i will take pics of the install and the way i rig it up.I think for now i will just stick with diesel and maybe look into bio later on down the road when i have more time and money to do so.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 AM

Having a big tank is something that I never thought I needed. I now have a 91 gal tank in the bed for my VO. when we go on a trip with the camper its nice to be able to pick where you want to stop for fuel . Many stations are not big truck friendly.

We went on a trip to cali for christmas and I was able to pick when and where I wanted to stop. Most of the stops we made to pee were at rest stops rather then gas stations. I like rest areas better because they are not as packed as gas stations, the bathrooms are usually cleaner and they generally have more room for my dog to walk around and do her thing. Having more fuel does not change your pee times, it just gives you the freedom to go when and where you feel like it. Now that I have more fuel I dont think I could ever live with out it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.