Wonít drive straight, wandering, darting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wonít drive straight, wandering, darting

I got new tires on old purple last week and now she rides great but I canít keep her going straight. Iím constantly having to fight the steering wheel to keep her between the lines and when going around curves she is very unstable feeling. I adjusted the steering box screw but that didnít help. I took her for an alignment today and they said everything was tight and the alignment was good. They could not find anything wrong.

The tires are 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers class E 65 psi max. I have tried 65 psi, 60 psi, and 55 psi with no noticeable difference. My old tires were 315/75/16 buckshot mudders and they road like crap but drove straight as could be. I figured down sizing from 315 to 305 and upsizing from class D to E would make the truck more stable when towing heavy but now it is dangerous to drive even empty.
Any ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to joeniel
I think Nittos are just bad luck lol. I had 285s out on last week and now I have the worst vibration in the world. Mechanic says its a driveline issue (will find out tomorro for sure), started right after i got tires on.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 PM

If you're getting a shake in the wheel in turns,it's probably the steering stabilizer/s,if not,I'd try another shop,you shouldn't have that when all parts are tight and aligned.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

No shake in the wheel at all, everything is smooth as silk besides the darting.
The truck did not come factory with a stabilizer but I did add one to it several years ago. I guess I could remove it to rule it out. That was the only suggestion the front-end guy had.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM

Well,I don't think removing it will help,because it keeps it from darting.
Does it do it on a smooth road as well with no dips or bumps?
Only reason I ask is I had same problem years ago and come to find out the shop's alignment machine was wrong,(it was towed out ),took it to another shop and never drove so nice when they were done with it.
Just something to consider.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It does it even on a glassy smooth road, it does really pull, its more like it is just hard to find the center, I have to keep working it back and forth to keep it straight. I may try a different alignment shop, I also think the steering box may have too much play or wear.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 PM

I've been having kinda the same problem, the steering just feels loose to me. Funny, I just got some Nitto terra grapplers too, but stock size. Seems like the steering wheel just has some slop in it, but I haven't tried to adjust the box yet. Maybe it is the tires, or maybe our trucks are starting to drive like old turds.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Yeah,sure sounds like alignment,don't know how many miles you've put on the new tires,can you see any cutting on the treads yet?
My steering box is getting sloppy,but still drives good and straight,one of these days i'll replace it.
Btw-what model JD's on the trailer?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

If your front end is in fact solid as the shop said it was, then I think you're probably right about the steering box.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It should be pretty good, I replaced all 4 ball joints and all of the steering linkages and joints at around 150,000 miles, basically everything except the steering box.

I can turn the wheel about nearly 2” before the tires move in each direction. When I tighten the steering box screw I still have the play but the wheel sticks and has to be turned back to straight by hand instead of the tires caster turning it back for you.
With the old tires there was no problem at all, I could drive with my knee at 80 mph. Now with the new tires I have to use both hands and can’t even eat my Mc double!

Tractors;
1947 A
1948 A
1951 MT
1956 60
2000 4700
Tractor pics http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...frog/Tractors/

Last edited by alabamafrog; 03-13-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.