Thinking about buying a diesel... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about buying a diesel...

Currently, I am in college and drive a 2001 Ford Ranger, but I want to get a bigger truck. I would like to get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup. I would get a gas job but the gas mileage is horrible for them. I'm hoping with the diesel to get around 18-20 on the highway. This summer I will be working out of Houston, Texas on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. If all goes as planned, I will have a nice chunk of change at the end of the summer to buy a truck with. I have been looking on e-bay for trucks in the Houston, TX area, and I think I can get an early 2000's F-250 with around 100,000 miles for around $20,000. I want to get a truck with a 7.3 diesel for its reliability and fuel mileage. The only problem that I have is that I live 1.1 miles away from college. So the truck would only be run for a short time during the week. Will running the truck a short distance harm it in some way? Is this a good enough reason not to buy a diesel? I would really appreciate any and all input that you guys have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 06:43 PM

it is kind of hard on them I have heard I have never seen damage done because of it. However does not mean it is not hard on it. Depending on how much longer you plan on living that close. Or you can do what most college kids do and ride a bike. Not sure if your school makes you buy parking permits or not. But most people ride their bikes to school when they live that close to save on fuel and parking costs.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
18-20mpg is gonna be hard to get out of a 7.3 ....... if your only looking for good gas milage i would get a dodge cummins... that will get you the gas milage you want... the 7.3 youll prob be getting aroun 12-15mpg a 6.0 will be a lil higher but not much
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want 20mpg get either a common rail cummins or a 12v (98.5 or older).

I'd get a bike or a an econo box if you're only going 1 mile to work. Just can't justify such a long lasting expensive truck for such a short drive.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerp View Post
it is kind of hard on them I have heard I have never seen damage done because of it. However does not mean it is not hard on it. Depending on how much longer you plan on living that close. Or you can do what most college kids do and ride a bike. Not sure if your school makes you buy parking permits or not. But most people ride their bikes to school when they live that close to save on fuel and parking costs.
I live off campus so I can really only ride my bike when the weather is nice.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
If you want 20mpg get either a common rail cummins or a 12v (98.5 or older).

I'd get a bike or a an econo box if you're only going 1 mile to work. Just can't justify such a long lasting expensive truck for such a short drive.
I've read some posts on this site where some people are getting around 18 mpg on the highway and around 14 mpg around town with a 7.3. I usually drive 300-400 miles a week even though my apartment is so close to school. I drive back to my home every weekend and I drive quite a bit over the weekend.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I LIKE CHROME :)

Send a message via MSN to power95
if u get a tuner u might push 18 at the very max.....4x4 or 2x4??.......and i would get a remote start and a turbo timer so it can idel before u leave and when u get there...i agree go with a cummins if u want mileage...hell even a dmax will get better mileage
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live about 1.5 mi from work and drive everyday. In the winter(I live in jersey) if its realy cold 20 or under I let it run for awhile to warm up after I get to work or home. What you also can do is just plug it in if it has a block heater that way its always warm as I do and have never had a problem.I get 18 on the highway but my 1999 7.3 just turned 60k.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by power95 View Post
if u get a tuner u might push 18 at the very max.....4x4 or 2x4??.......and i would get a remote start and a turbo timer so it can idel before u leave and when u get there...i agree go with a cummins if u want mileage...hell even a dmax will get better mileage
I've heard alot of bad things about the injectors going bad in the duramax's and I don't really like dodges to much.
I'm not a big fan of tuner's. If I get a powerstroke it would definitely get a performance intake and exhaust for mileage purposes.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by power95 View Post
4x4.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.