7.3 or?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 or??

OK guys I am going to upgrade from my 95 SC PSD to accomodate the family. I know this question has been asked a million times but I will throw it out there again. I want to be comfy in my new/used ride. 7.3, 6.0 or should I go to Cummins 5.9 ? The 6.0 has the horrible rap. 7.3 is great but wondering about the rest of the truck.... and then the 5.9 Cummins...oh lets not forget Duramax. Looking in the $20K market. Give some input (nicely). Also might want to run WVO down the road. Thanks! Can't believe I got to smog that thing here in Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
$20K will get you a very nice 7.3 with under 100K.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM

I know I am going to get beaten up for this, but the cummins is the better engine. The problem is the rest of the truck. The 7.3 is a good working engine, but somewhat limited in power. The late 6.0 isn't bad, but it will be hard to find one in your range.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumawater View Post
OK guys I am going to upgrade from my 95 SC PSD to accomodate the family. I know this question has been asked a million times but I will throw it out there again. I want to be comfy in my new/used ride. 7.3, 6.0 or should I go to Cummins 5.9 ? The 6.0 has the horrible rap. 7.3 is great but wondering about the rest of the truck.... and then the 5.9 Cummins...oh lets not forget Duramax. Looking in the $20K market. Give some input (nicely). Also might want to run WVO down the road. Thanks! Can't believe I got to smog that thing here in Cali.
I heard Duramax gets the best fuel mileage.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM

That dmax is also the most expensive usually.

The crew cab is superior on the ford. That's the biggest reason I bought mine.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
i say get a 03' 7.3l psd.... Get it fully loaded with every available option and you will still be in your price range. It can also be low mileage if you look long enough

If you go with a 6.0 you can't get it fully loaded in your price range, and it will probably be relatively high miles.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM

6.0's around here are a dime a dozen. but thats proabbly due to their reputation. if you get a cummins, just get the motor, liek someone else said, but that wont get you a crew cab! DMax's are nice but expensive, dont buy an LB7, Stick with LBZ, or LLY and save money for a couple fixes/mods for the LLY. you might be hard pressed to find an LBZ for that price... nice trucks!

IMHO, if your wanting to do WVO stick with the 7.3. its is hands down the best to convert. hit the biofuels section for more info to find out why. it has to do with the HEUI system. i know the 6.0 has it, but the 6.0's injectors are drama queens.

my vote, 7.3 or DMax. i know nothing about veggin a DMax though.

if you want DMax info start reading on dieselplace

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 03-09-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM

I have a 02 7.3 and love it lots of room buddy has a 03 Dodge yea more power but less room
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM

well my choice truck would be an 05-07 f250 Crew with a cummins swap but for $20k it might be hard to get! I would go 7.3L since as said before you could get a nice low mileage truck for the money you have. I have also seen 6.0's all over and going for cheap... check out ebay they are everywhere! good luck with the search.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive always been a dodge man and i love the cummins but if your looking for a family truck for around 20k it will prolly be hard to find a cummins for that except for high miles or obs truck and that means a quad cab at the biggest. the duramax is nice and roomy but again pricey. I bought my powerstroke and love it the motor is strong and its full of room as im sure your aware of. every person i know, except for an older man that babies his truck, that has a 6.0 has had problems with it. In the end its what makes you happy and i think the 7.3 rules all (for 20k that is) IMO, but in my honest opinion go up to 35k and get a mega cab cummins lol good luck bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.