DIY oil bypass filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY oil bypass filter?

Ok, I have searched a few times and have had no luck. Has anyone created their own OBF? If so, what was needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Ok with no responses, is there any reason why someone shouldn't attempt this? Let me know before I get to involved with it, lol.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't see why you couldn't make one yourself. I would say my biggest concern would be dropping oil pressure but as long as you have a metering valve you should be fine.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM

i dont know if this is something id want to DIY. You can run amsoil oil and amsoil filter for 3x the manufactures suggested change interval. The bypass filter may or may not allow you to run longer then this.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

choupique108, from what I have seen, this can even extend that interval. If I do it, I will replace oil changes with blackstone-labs, every 5k should be good I think.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 PM

it can only extend it if you send the samples in. I just recently switched to amsoil and i did tons of research befroe i pulled the trigger and if i can go 15,000miles or one year, which ever comes first, then thats enough for me. I figured im already saving enough money with just the amsoil filter and oil and by keeping the filter in the stock location im less prone to have an oil leak...
Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

The stock filter will remain in its original location. This would just add an additional bypass filter (similar to the coolant bypass filter) that is capable of removing much smaller particles than the standard filter we run.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM

I ordered a kit from NUC Motorsports for $195.

The kit comes with everything needed to install on an 99-03' 7.3 with an automatic transmission. The parts included:
  • Stainless steel braided PTFE lines
  • laser cut mounting plate
  • Billet aluminum spin-on filter adapter
  • Amsoil EaBP100 filter
My dilemma was that I have a ZF-6 manual, not an automatic, so the mount wouldn't help me any. So using some 2"x2"x⅛" aluminum, I fashioned my own bracket. I know the ⅛" stuff sounds weak, so I doubled it up on one side to add rigidity.

The flywheel cover bolts are M8 if I recall. I nabbed some continuously threaded stainless steel set screws that were about " longer than the OEM bolts, and secured them with flat washers, followed by lock washers and a hex-nut, all of which were stainless steel.

I ended up mounting the filter on the horizontal plane, which will allow me to use a EaBP110 in the future if I desire.

For those of you doing this yourself, I encountered a big problem removing the return plug on the side of the block. It takes a 5/16" square drive to remove, so took a cheaper ⅜" extension and filed it down, only to have it slip and ruin the plug. So off to Lowes I went, to find a #6 screw extractor. It was very difficult to get out.

And then after about 600 miles, I sent a sample to Blackstone. They said I'm in real good shape, TBN was 7.7, Insolubles was 0.1%. With 5,000 miles on this oil, they recommended another analysis in 3,000 miles, I think I'll wait till 5,000 to check it again.

Here's a picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.