Gotta smog my diesel in Cali - anyone know what they look for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gotta smog my diesel in Cali - anyone know what they look for?

Just went to register my new to me 2000 F250 w/7.3 and was told by California DMV that I needed to get it smogged. Anyone know exactly what the smog guys look for? I think the truck is all stock, except for the zoodad mod. I'm wondering if I should screw a piece of plastic material over the zoodad mod for the smog test, since I'm told anything nonstock is a no-no.

Any input would be great! I don't want to not pass for some stupid reason, then get into the DMV computers as a gross polluter or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No the zoodad won't do anything to your smog output, just go get it done if it's stock you will be good to go. I'm not sure if Cali f250s were different on the old of a truck. Someone who knows will reply I'm sure.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
shouldnt have a prob.
plus its a visual test so if you know someonee who could care less, then you'll be fine with the OBDII plug in testin for codes and thats it. its all about money, a load of sh** if you ask me.
im good til december thankfully.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

Ill be moving to Cali soon But Ill be exempt Thanks to my Oregon registration WHOOTS!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 AM

I realize the zoodad won't affect my smog, but that's not the point. This is Cali - it doesn't matter if it will affect the smog output, it's what CARB decided is and isn't necessary. Anyone know exactly what CARB (Cali Air Resources Board) is looking for?

I found another thread it was pointed out that you can look at the smog sticker on the hood to see if you need a cat. I didn't have a cat, so was worried, but found the stick saying it was certified for Cali emissions, and it was "non catalyst" so I'm hoping that's good.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what the smog tech looks at under the hood. Since the zoodad mod is a "modification" to the air intake system, that makes me nervous. I don't know anyone at a smog shop so can't choose a relaxed smog guy.

I have an obdii reader I bought for my gas 4Runner, will that read codes on the diesel?

Thx
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 AM

zoodad mod is not something you need to worry about, since you only modified the body, not any "smog equipment"
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcbmw View Post
Just went to register my new to me 2000 F250 w/7.3 and was told by California DMV that I needed to get it smogged. Anyone know exactly what the smog guys look for? I think the truck is all stock, except for the zoodad mod. I'm wondering if I should screw a piece of plastic material over the zoodad mod for the smog test, since I'm told anything nonstock is a no-no.

Any input would be great! I don't want to not pass for some stupid reason, then get into the DMV computers as a gross polluter or something.
Take a look at this:
Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information - It's the documents showing what the testing is and what they look for.

Also - The "anything nonstock is a no-no" is kind of right, but not necessarily right. IF the item is C.A.R.B. approved with an Executive Order number on it or the truck somewhere, they will cross reference the number with 'the list' to verify it. Once that is done, they can't fail you for being non-stock. Example, I have a K&N FIPK on my truck. It has a CARB EO# on it. The tester person will see the number, look it up and then move on.

Here is the list:
Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

Hope that helps....
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Darryl- thanks for the info. From the looks of this, it appears if you have all the smog stuff in place, all stock or CARB approved parts, it should pass the visual. The "visible smoke test" requires the tech to look at exhaust at idle for 10 seconds and then engine/crankcase PCV/DCR for 10 seconds and look for smoke. Then they romp the engine ("snap test") and look for exhaust smoke three more times.

A fail for diesel is "a visible smoke plume observed 5 to 15 feet from the tailpipe that lingers for more than 3 seconds on either of the final two BAR snap tests". And "no vehicle shall be failed for condensation or steam".

This seems to be somewhat realistic. I'll romp my engine and see if I see smoke 5 feet away lasting 3 seconds.

Thanks for the link, this is what i was trying to find. Can anyone confirm that my OBDII reader for my gas vehicle will read the diesel vehicle?

Last edited by hpcbmw; 03-02-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 AM

Good luck with the test, stinkin terminator Gov.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ya imma plug my ccv back in(have a hose right now lol) and if i can go to the same guy i know he wont care bout my straight pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.