Used 7.3 Buying Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used 7.3 Buying Advice

First post. Apologies for asking a question that has likely been covered many times, but my searches didn't turn up anything. If I'm beating a dead horse, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a link to a thread where this has already been answered.

I'm planning on trying to buy a 7.3L SRW F250/F350 with around 100K miles and a 6 speed manual in the near future. Are there any issues specific to this truck that I should look for? Given the age and mileage of the trucks that will be in my price range, I plan to make sure they have been properly maintained and I plan on making sure everything in the front end is tight. As this will be my first diesel, is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What years are you thinking? 7.3L with a 6spd limits you from '99 to mid '03 (but '03 7.3s are pretty rare).
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM

just watch for leaks, check the turbo for chips and shaft play. if you end up with an auto, have the tranny checked by a trusted mechanic. compression tests never hurt, but are rare to find problems. do a diagnostic on injectors and test for codes. thats about it. keep money aside fro fluid changes, and just assume you will have to replace the glows and glow relay (about $150 with a Stancor relay upgrade). that way your safe either way.

welcome to the org!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was thinking 99-03. Looking to spend around $17,000 and from what I've seen I think that age range of truck is what I'll be able to afford.

Thanks for the advice ridiculously_necessary.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

you can find a great truck for that price. of course that will vary where you live, but here in MO 17 will get you a great rig.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM

You just got to look at it. You can tell when a truck has been abused. Especially when you drive it...

Look at who owned it if you can. If it is some punk kid then you know where it has bee. Also look under the truck, see if it is caked with mudd...

Pull the air filter see if everything look good. If you really want to get to know a truck, look at the wheel on the turbo.. see if there is any play or the wheel is all worn out..

Get up and look down in the valley of death with a flashlight, see what is all down there. If you can't stick your hand down there and feel. If there is a lot of oil down there then there may be some issues.

Look at all the fluids. Make sure they are all nice and clean. Also if a motor is really clean up top... then somebody probably pressure washed the motor. If so, get under the motor and look up there, see how much oil and sludge is under there.

Check the blow by, open the oil filter cap and see how much pressure is coming out the cap when the truck is running.

If it has a bed mat, look under it to see how beat up the bed is.

If you can find out the history, when and what has been replaced.

There are a ton of things you can look for... Also find out if anyone nearby has AE, THAT really freaks out the owner of the truck when you hook it up to a computer... then you can pull all the codes, check out the injectors, test everything and watch everything on a test drive..
Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWashakie View Post
First post. Apologies for asking a question that has likely been covered many times, but my searches didn't turn up anything. .
Didn't look here -> What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks to all for the replies. It's really helpful info.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Biggest thing, once you get it take it to a DIESEL MECHANIC, after I bought mine I took it took the same mechanic I took my gas cars too. Needless to say I had to replace the engine within a month of buying it.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorti View Post
Biggest thing, once you get it take it to a DIESEL MECHANIC, after I bought mine I took it took the same mechanic I took my gas cars too. Needless to say I had to replace the engine within a month of buying it.
thats some good homework lol..

there out there..you just have to look.... im pre warning you..the modifications get addicting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.