New to me 7.3! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me 7.3!

Hello All! New to the site with a new to me truck. 2002 CrewCab Lariat shortbed 4x4. It has a small lift with 35's. I bought it with 147k on it after having it checked out by a Ford Dealer. I am the third owner and have all maintenence reciepts from previous two owners. I am looking for reliablility and fuel economy from my rig. I figured this would be a great place to start learning more about my rig. Here is what I know so far:
First owner installed a chip when the truck was almost new. It has a small 3 position toggle switch mounted on the dash next to the steering wheel. Guy I got it from said bottom was stock, center was 50hp and up was 100hp

Wire from the switch goes to a box under the dash next to the ebrake:

AFE intake and filter (not sure if this is supposed to be dry or oiled?):

Garrett turbo which I'm not sure is stock or not:

Backside of turbo:

I think it's 4" exhaust from the turbo back to a muffler then it splits to duals and ends with Big ATS tips:

Any help learning more and getting the most out of my rig would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
turbo appears to be stock, the chip is plugged into the pcm, pull it out, get some more info on the chip, that looks like a really old chip!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got around to pulling the pcm to check on the chip and it's a Dynosources. Looks like I have their 3 position chip, not sure what the two aside from stock are. Guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to see what I can learn. Now, it's time for a set of guages!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 PM

I would take that old chip out and throw it away, that might be one of the first chips made for these trucks.. Never seen one like it.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
I would take that old chip out and throw it away, that might be one of the first chips made for these trucks.. Never seen one like it.
yea, I would pull it out and try to sell it on ebay. Get a DP or PHP chip and run that. I know DP updates his tunes from time to time, so your getting the best tune possible.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's a pic of the chip that's currently installed.

It was installed when the truck had 4000 miles on it. It now has 147k. It seems to be functioning fine, granted I don't have gauges yet to know what effect it is having on vitals........Gauges will be my next add-on before upgrading the chip. Any other thoughts on if I should remove it or not? I keep it on the middle setting which should be "Tow/economy" or about 70 additional HP. I will only be towing a 3klb boat for short distances.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 AM

It would be interesting to run it with the switch in one position until your fuel tank is near empty and record the miles.
Fill the tank and run it with switch in second position until fuel tank is near empty, record the miles
Repeat with switch in third position.

From the mileage you likely would be able to guess the character of each switch position.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas360 View Post
It would be interesting to run it with the switch in one position until your fuel tank is near empty and record the miles.
Fill the tank and run it with switch in second position until fuel tank is near empty, record the miles
Repeat with switch in third position.

From the mileage you likely would be able to guess the character of each switch position.
I believe he said that down was stock, middle was 50hp, and top was 100hp
Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Oh, I know that, but it would be interesting to verify it himself instead of taking the owner's words for it. Besides, that would give him an idea of how good each setting is as far as mpg is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.