time to give her some attention - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
time to give her some attention

2001 F250 CC, 7.3, manual, 165K
All stock, no lift, no changes at all since I have owned it in 03. Looks like maybe a leveling kit since she sits very level.
CPS is new - have 2 spares even
glow plug relay is new - have spare as well
new pass. hub in 09

Since I have a bunch of little things that I think need to be addressed, I figured it might be best to just do this all in one post. The truck has been GREAT for me, no major issues but I think its time to check things over and do a few little things too.
I drove to CA from CO last week and all these things popped up on the return trip home. Any help is appreciated!

The simple things -

1. Time for new shocks - any recommendations?
2. I need new lock outs - any recommendations?
3. the D*** door open light stays on, I know I have seen this addressed before, so a link maybe?

The slightly harder stuff-

1. 4x4 does not engage all the time, its very random when switch is turned. Neither 4H or 4L will work, then all of a sudden it works fine.

2. BAD vibration from front driveshaft when ONLY in 4wd. probably U joints, but figured I'd better ask.

3. This is random as well. When driving at 50mph in either 3rd or 4th gear, it will just cut out all of a sudden and then continue on. always at the same speed and gears though. Has regualr fuel filter changes, oil changes, etc. It has happened once or twice while at other speeds/gears, always when maintaining a speed for a period of time though.

4. e-brake adjustments? Is there a way to do this? I have not crawled under it in the snow yet.

I think that covers me for the moment... I'm willing to upgrade, make some good changes if needed even.

thx
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'll answer the ones I know - I'll leave it to smarter-than-me people to answer the others.
Simple things:
1. I use Rancho 5000 series shocks - work for me. Others will have recommendations, I'm sure.
3. The Door Ajar thing - Try spraying WD-40 in the door latch mechanisms. The switch is in there. Spray...open/close the door a few times to cycle it. 2 schools of thought. Spray 'em all at the same time....who care which one it is.....-OR- Shoot one at a time to pin-point which one to keep and eye on it. Driver's choice.

Harder stuff -
3. Have you had the CPS (crank position sensor) replaced...either by recall (which there is one) or done it yourself? Dropping out like that sounds like what mine did, until it got worse. Mine would shut off, I had to stop, turn off the key all the way then restart. I'd go for a couple of days before acting up again.
4. Yes...the e-brake is a drum-like brake inside the rear disk. Like the old drum brakes there is a rubber slot cover at the bottom. Adjust like the old ones. Probably best if the rear-end was off the floor.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 AM

Yeah CPS sensor was replaced and I have tried one of the other ones I have as well, same issue with the cut out.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post
2001 F250 CC, 7.3, manual, 165K
All stock, no lift, no changes at all since I have owned it in 03. Looks like maybe a leveling kit since she sits very level.
CPS is new - have 2 spares even
glow plug relay is new - have spare as well
new pass. hub in 09

Since I have a bunch of little things that I think need to be addressed, I figured it might be best to just do this all in one post. The truck has been GREAT for me, no major issues but I think its time to check things over and do a few little things too.
I drove to CA from CO last week and all these things popped up on the return trip home. Any help is appreciated!

The simple things -

1. Time for new shocks - any recommendations?
Bilsteins
2. I need new lock outs - any recommendations? Warn Premium Fairly Easy
To install just a snap ring

3. the D*** door open light stays on, I know I have seen this addressed before, so a link maybe? Just spray some wd40 where the lock is I did this to mine and it fixed it

The slightly harder stuff-

1. 4x4 does not engage all the time, its very random when switch is turned. Neither 4H or 4L will work, then all of a sudden it works fine.Check the vaccum on the hubs this could be the problem or a speed sensor maybe not sure just giving my 2cents

2. BAD vibration from front driveshaft when ONLY in 4wd. probably U joints, but figured I'd better ask. Check the u-joints like you said

3. This is random as well. When driving at 50mph in either 3rd or 4th gear, it will just cut out all of a sudden and then continue on. always at the same speed and gears though. Has regualr fuel filter changes, oil changes, etc. It has happened once or twice while at other speeds/gears, always when maintaining a speed for a period of time though. Not Sure

4. e-brake adjustments? Is there a way to do this? I have not crawled under it in the snow yet. When looking at the wheel you will see a star shaped gear and adjust it from there with a screw driver or small pry bar

I think that covers me for the moment... I'm willing to upgrade, make some good changes if needed even.

thx
M
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM

More good info... Will be looking for shocks this weekend.

I also noticed a lot of blow by on the turbo tube.. are these just O-rings?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it's lower RPM's at higher speeds could it be turbo surge or turbo stall?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post
More good info... Will be looking for shocks this weekend.

I also noticed a lot of blow by on the turbo tube.. are these just O-rings?
Do a search on the ccv mod, that's where the oil is coming from. There is Lots of info on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.