oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak

Been noticing a wet patch on bottom of my engine for awhile now. After a trip out I-10 today, it has turned into a big enough leak that its dripping on the driveway and has been dripping while driving and has the underside the truck wet with oil spots all over it. I have wiped everythig clean a week ago and it appears to be coming down the passenger side rear of the engine, covering the starter and both hard tranny lines and then running down the inspection cover and dripping in front of the tranny pan. I had a new rear main put in when the tranny was out last fall but dont think that is it due to seeing it running down the front nose of the starter. Figured it would be dripping out of the hole in the bottom of the inspection cover if it were the seal. You can smell it and see where it blows onto the down pipe once in a while. Need to get this fixed, any info much appricated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 03:16 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is the valley of your motor wet in the front or rear? Get a flashlight and check on it..
Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Just came back in from looking and it is wet on the passenger side back of the valley. Valve cover on that side next to the valley looks moist as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

could be a few things, does it look to be wet around the rod that comes out of the ped? Or it might be bad ped orings. neither are hard fixes if you can turn a wrench. Or you may be doomed like me and replace every oring and put a ccv catch can and still get oil dripping..........
Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Is it leaking out of the valve cover itself?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:14 AM

I cant tell if its the cover or not. Will that leak alot of oil if its bad?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 AM
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!!!!!

If its not coming from around the turbo anywhere check your valve cover bolts see if they are loose. Alot of time this can be the problem and instead of changing valve cover gaskets you can thighten them down and the leak will stop if thats where it is coming from. Also you might try cleaning it off again and have a buddy sit in the truck pull the rpm's up so it raises the oil pressure and watch to see where the leak is coming from.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM

First thing... Take a hose up there and wash everything off, get all the oil from inside of the valley out of there. Then let it dry.

It could be a number of things, HPOP plugs, HPOP oil lines, Turbo to pedestal Orings, Pedestal to block orings, EBV in turbo, and any other plug in the HPOP system..

If it is a big leak, that continuous to leak pretty good while it is idling. I would stuff a bunch of paper towels in the valley. Especially around and under the HPOP, HPOP lines and turbo. Then slowly pull them off looking for oil spots.

Lot of times it is a small leak, but it just takes a while to show up since it is filling the valley with oil. Then when you park on an incline it drains out the drain hole on back of the valley. So it pools up real good, then ends up coming out real fast when you park with your front end up...
Old 03-01-2010, 02:54 PM

My drive is on a 45 degree angle so the front end is always up.
This weekend I will get everything cleaned off (there is rally not alot of oil in the valley, maybe beacuse it is parked on a steep angle everyday) and look for it. Any suggestions what to clean with? What cuts the grease well? Sure be nice if it is only a loose bolt on the valve cover!!
Thanks for the help guys. I will keep yall posted when I get it cleaned this weekend.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:09 PM

I've been looking for my oil leak for ages now... I know its not my HPOP cuase its dry behind it, but back of the valley looks wet, but I've changed all O rings due to my new turbo. Is there anything else back there that can leak. Sorry to jump in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.