4wd front shaft only?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
4wd front shaft only??

If i remove my rear driveshaft for repair(balancing) can i drive the truck using 4wd but not have the rear shaft in?Just use the front shaft to get to the shop to balance it? It may be an hour ride there. Will that hurt things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont think it would hurt things too awful bad, just dont be flying down the road at no 70 mph. I personally wouldnt go over 55-60.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM

thx.........
Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
If i remove my rear driveshaft for repair(balancing) can i drive the truck using 4wd but not have the rear shaft in?Just use the front shaft to get to the shop to balance it? It may be an hour ride there. Will that hurt things?

The only thing you might hurt is, your front axle, hubs, or t-case. I say this because if you are dry pavement and have to make turns your front tires may grab the asphalt or cement and bind up. Which could cause something to break. Usually it is a hub.

I personally would not go over 35-40 miles an hour doing this.

I have done it but not for a hour drive. When my carrier bearing went out I took the rear driveshaft and drove home in 4wd. But I only had to go about 5 miles.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 AM
PMR = JUNK

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
I wouldn't be afraid to even drive 70. I wouldn't flog on it much because the front driveline wasn't designed to be taking 100% of the engine power. But you shouldn't hurt anything. Turning shouldn't be an issue either because most front diffs are open.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I wouldn't be afraid to even drive 70. I wouldn't flog on it much because the front driveline wasn't designed to be taking 100% of the engine power. But you shouldn't hurt anything. Turning shouldn't be an issue either because most front diffs are open.
Yes the diffs are open. But the front axle is not designed to be driven in 4wd on dry pavement. If his tires catch grip during a turn then the hubs, diff, or t-case could become damaged.

Can it be done yes it can be. But should be used as a roadside emergency. When something breaks in the back. So you can get somewhere to repair what ever is broken.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
PMR = JUNK

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Yeah, i would definitely be careful. I would turn very slowly so if it does start to catch you can stop before it binds up real bad. Straight line driving should be good though.

I think the ESOF trucks allow you to put it in 4 up to like 80 MPH or something so straight line it cant be too bad on it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM

I've done it on Toyota trucks. There is no reason at all that anything would bind in the front end. It's an open differential and the rear end isn't attached to the TC. It is just like running in 2wd, your rear end doesn't bind up on turns does it?

The front end was never designed to take 100% of the engine torque so be easy on it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
I've done it on Toyota trucks. There is no reason at all that anything would bind in the front end. It's an open differential and the rear end isn't attached to the TC. It is just like running in 2wd, your rear end doesn't bind up on turns does it?

The front end was never designed to take 100% of the engine torque so be easy on it.
Um ok if you say so. But how about you go throw your truck in 4wd on dry pavement and make a turn. Then come back and tell me it does not bind up. Those tires grab traction on the asphalt or cement. Next thing you know you have a hub that is stripped out and broke.

I have been around way to long to know better. Heck my truck blew out a warn locking hub on wet pavement. I was in 4wd and made a left turn and I didn't think it was going to happen. Being it was snowing outside ice on the ground and the pavement was wet. But it did happen.

In my opinion it is not worth the risk of damaging something else while trying to get something repaired.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
OBS Forever!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Yes the diffs are open. But the front axle is not designed to be driven in 4wd on dry pavement. If his tires catch grip during a turn then the hubs, diff, or t-case could become damaged.

Can it be done yes it can be. But should be used as a roadside emergency. When something breaks in the back. So you can get somewhere to repair what ever is broken.
Dry pavement binding up in front axle would only happen if the rear shaft is there. No problems driving it like this for an hr or more.
Brother drove a 8" lifted yota with solid axle and 35s for months like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.